Cannondale M700? Junk or Real?

Alexander79

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, a colleague, gave me this frame, the decals say Cannondale M700, but the frame looks abnormal. So is it junk or real?

Attachments

• Cannondale M700.jpg
    Cannondale M700.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 691
Alas, it's not a 'dale.. Not sure what is, but looks steel not alu anyhow.

That taper on the seat tube where front mech is fitted looks unusual..

And its got other braze ons on the seat stays I don't get..

Is that a Zoom stem with that black handlebar?

The handlebar and stem are Zoom. It had a DX rearderailleur en MT60 crank. The rest of the components were gone.

If it is your size and if it's an ok weight and steel, why not throw some odds and ends parts at it and try it, it might be brilliant to ride. You never know. :)

Looks like a "city bike" to me rather than an actual MTB. I had something quite similar in the late 80s. That style of bike was popular in the BeNeLux, but I don't know if it ever caught on in the UK.
That plate near the top of the seat stays holds a classical bike rack and a (full-length, steel, fixed) rear fender.
The other braze-on, near the middle of the right-hand seat stay, is a mounting point for a dynamo.

Both these points indicate that it originally came equipped for touring rather than off-roading. Mind you, it did use MTB wheels and tyres.
Basically it was a road bike with lights, rack and fenders ... but it pretended to be an MTB.
Slap some wheels on it and measure the BB height. It could be a bit lower than most MTBs. It'll also probably have a more road-oriented geometry.

It's certainly no Cannondale, but that doesn't mean it's junk. It looks like it's been ridden a lot, so there must be something good about it.
Build it with some leftover parts and see where you go from there. I reckon it'll make a good long-distance cruiser or pub bike.

EDIT : As for the age, I'm guessing mid to late 80s.

Hi

Certainly looks of European origin to me, not from the USA, what does the sticker on the seat-tube say :?:

Cheers

Mark :D

The sticker states Made in de USA? The frame is heavy. But frome your comments worth a try. Iam from thr Netherlands so that fits also.

Well I am probably going to get shot down in flames for my next comment, but seeing as you are in the Netherlands and when I looked at all the fittings on there straight away my first thought was Dutch/Japanese company Koga-Myata

I have a Fuji Crosstown frame that looks exactly like that
1_f_zps27a7b265.jpg

Back