My "hot pink" plan was eventually derailed
. I got a paint code from DuPont (F2576)
after quite a few emails and phone calls but it turns out this hasn’t been matched on the paints they use in Europe (no demand; can’t think why!)
and in order to get the exact colour, DuPont would have had to send a colour sample to their facility in Belgium for colour matching for the total sales of 250ml…
I did get a rattle can of the closest available match (Imron® S4631)
and sent Brian a sample but his SM800 was stolen the night after the sample arrived and he wasn’t able to get a photo of the two together!
He did say they were close though…
I sprayed up some cards with the pink, but against such a vivid background my experiments with the Uni Posca paint pens
looked swamped, plus the pink SM800 only came as a 24”/26”, so it wouldn’t have been quite “right”. I struggled to reconcile these two for a few weeks but eventually I decided to go with white as this would give the best background for the intended graphics, it is right for an SM800 i.e. 2x26” and as a nod to the hot pink I plan to paint the stem this colour (it will look hideous!) .
I also enrolled (press ganged)
my brother into drawing the graphics as he’s storyboard artist at Aardman Animation and he drew them free hand in 5 hours.