91 Orange Clockwork, new bits added, 30/7/08

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
This is my first retro build, frame was an impulse E-bay purchase just before last christmas as i was looking for a lighter bike to commute on than my LTS.

Most parts are not period correct and some are modern so i've got my flame proof undercrackers on :LOL:, cranks and pedals are temporary, have a set of STX MD ones to go on when i get new midleburn rings for them.

The modern carbon bars are a bit too narrow for me too at 22" so will be replacing these with posibly wide Answer Hyperlights or similar.
Modern stickers on it, i prefer the one on the downtube to the thin older style but not sure about the one on the top tube :?

Frame - 92 Orange Clockwork, 17"
Fork - Tange Switchblade
Headset - FSA
Stem - Syncros 150mm
Handlebar - ABR carbon
Grips - Syncros
Brakes - XT M739
Brake Levers - XT M739
Shifters - XT M739
Front Derailleur - XT M739
Rear Derailleur- XT M739 Short cage
Cassette - Shimano 12 - 23
Chain - SRAM Octalink (i think)
Cranks - Ugly FSA ones
Chainrings - FSA 32 middle, Shimano 44 outer, no granny.
Bottom Bracket - UN-71
Pedals - Maoooosive Gusset jobbies, (temporary)
Quick Releases- X-lite
Rims - Mavic 121
Hubs - White industries
Tyres - DMR Moto 2.2
Saddle - Original Flyte
Seatpost - Pass, quite light, and it holds the seat up :LOL:
Weight - 23. Lb, (guess)

clockworkrhs.jpg

clockworkrearhub.jpg

clockworkfront.jpg

clockworklhs.jpg

Thank's to Sithlord for the XT STI shifters/levers, Corduroyboy for the XT brakes and front and rear mechs, and Manitou 916 for the Tange switchblades ;)

Looks good, are you sure it's that early? Irrelevant as respray I guess and decals are later but not sure on actual frame...

Nice looking clockwork.. You just can't beat the orange and white finish - It's what i always wanted BITD!! :D

Nice. :cool:.... That orange a white fade is a classic combo. Really nice with the switch blades as well..... after yours and clockwork davo's I'm convinced that's got to be the colour for '92 build. Choice ride!!! :D

Max P":3iikhe3c said:
, are you sure it's that early? ...

Well it was sold to me as a 92, it has a bottom pull front mech and the
canti cable stop on the seat stay, is there a way to date these frames ?

Cheer's for the comments guys ;)

After looking at these pics i've decided the sticker on the top tube just is'nt right so it's coming off,
in fact may just get the proper ones for it now.

The decals are for a later model than '92 but the frame itself - can be tricky to date them exactly, Orange did not change the frame every year. The biggest change was probably from in '91/92 when the seat stays became much thinner and gave a lot more mud clearance. I have one (below) that was in the first batch of these that came into the country in 1991.

I think that yours is actually earlier - the stays look like the older thicker type.

May be worth doing a search too - lots of previous topics on id'ing old Oranges.

Cheers for that ;) , the stickers were wrong when i got the frame but were the other later type with the long ORANGE
running the length of the downtube, got the ones on it now off E-bay but may get the proper ones for it soon.

I think this frame does have the thicker stays you mention as there does'nt seem to be a great amount of
clearence but i'm using a 2.2 tyre which is probably going to be a bit tight anyway.

Ohhh...can remember my first Orange (before the one below) - that struggled with a 1.95 Ground Control!

Back