Dave Lloyd CATS.........

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Let me start by saying I am extremely grateful to Nevadasmith for giving me the chance to own this frame.

As some of you know, I have a bit of a taste for British steel, and having finished my DOGS..., I have been hankering after another of the legends from the 90's, namely a Dave Lloyd CATS WISKAS, and now I have one. This one was made in 1992.

Like the DB, this poor soul needs a bit of TLC, but with the aid of a decent frame builder, I am sure I can get it up, running and grubby once again.

The list of woes, and this is no reflection on anyone, are; a stuck bottom bracket, a non-rotating front mech cable pulley, there is a bump in the head tube and most serious, there are a number of holes on the underside of the drive side chainstay. Plus, it could do with a lick of paint.

Thanks to Sinnerman, I know that this frame has a front section made of Dedacciai Zero and a rear triangle of Reynolds 531, this combination should make for an excellent ride.

The plan is a little flexible at present, but it will involve silver paint, disk brakes and possibly a matching pair of rigid and suspension front forks.

Running gear is to be mulled over, presently I am leaning towards my favourite SRAM X9 / X0, 2 X 10 set up, but I am still considering something a bit more trad.

Rideability is all to me so this won't be a thumbie, canti and toestrap build, but it will be true to the spirit of the original bike.

As it is today, with a spare pair of RC35's (yes, I know the steerer is much too long, give us a minute).

DSC_0418_zpsae8488b1.jpg

DSC_0416_zpsc6772f93.jpg

I wonder if when you chatted with nevada if the subject of the frame builder he used for the orange forumula was mentioned?

Sounds like it will be a very nice bike :cool:

I would be tempted to go with shimano gears instead of SRAM though but that's my personal preference :D

sylus":1e3y5gb3 said:
I wonder if when you chatted with nevada if the subject of the frame builder he used for the orange forumula was mentioned?

Yes it was, but I also have Argos just up the road and also Paulus Quiros (Jose) not too far away, both of whom I can visit frame in hand.

Raleighracer; my present plans are either new SRAM or old Shimano. I have both in regular use on my other bikes, so I'm not biased one way or the other.

I hope this gets done this time, and given your deligence and tenacious mind set, you may just be the man for the job.

I worry it is a couple of inches too small, but if you are sure then im looking forward to finally seeing it finished.

I know there are a couple here, but no one seems to actually finish a build with one... :(

Given the forks and the disc mount, i would love to see this with period discs front and rear, i think it would make my day.

Paulus Quiros---Quality craftsman

I have also used Argos, for the Chaos Theroy, and it was returned on time and sublime.

And if i have to donate the shimano myself, to stop this bike being built with bloody sram. i will do.

One question, the Chrome, does it stay or does it go....? It will add an additional £100 to the renovation.

But to my mind it would be PERFECT. and Argos use a very good firm.

Happy Dayz mate.

The chrome most definitely stays, as I have this picture in my mind of the whole bike in silver and black, the same as I had a picture of my DB in orange and black.

You are not the only one who rags me about SRAM, just think of it as Sachs and that should make you feel a bit better.

I'm not too sure about old disks though, they are rare and as I recall, not very good. However, my current plan would disguise the caliper as much as possible and allow the eye to enjoy the candy that is Mr Lloyds handiwork.

Good luck getting a decent set of those Discs Neil, they are hard to find! If you do decide to go down that route, let me know, I have a 'spare' Shimano rear hub with rotor.

Just found and bought a couple of Avid BB5 calipers, so that I can do some experimentation :twisted:

Well done for finding your frame mate and loving the colour :cool: and as always looking forward to seeing another legend built :cool:

Back