GT Xizang 1993

Rahbari

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is was my first project after re-discovering the fascination of classic mountainbikes in Summer 2011.

The Xizang was the frame of my dreams during my youth. I did not even dare to dream of one back then. After starting back in the business I just had to have it. I bought it for a decent price from the original owner, a hotel manager in Switzerland. He built it up like this:

large_IMAG0425.jpg

This is how the frame looked when it arrived:

large_Foto1.JPG

I always dreamed of a yellow Judy SL and a complete XTR 950, so this was my first build:

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

After a while I had enough of the yellow and wanted a period correct build. This is the current state:

large_Foto%201.jpg

large_Foto%203.jpg

large_Foto%202.jpg

Current Setup:

Frame: 1993 GT Xizang 18inch (Original Decals 1995)

Fork: 1993 GT Bologna Lite

Headset: Chris King Nothreadset (modern)
Stem: Syncros Cattlehead
Handlebar: Syncros Ti
Grips: Ritchey WCS (modern)

Brakes: Grafton Speed Controllers
Brake Pads: Shimano U-Brake style
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringle Mojo
Brake Levers: Grafton Re-Entry

Shifters: XTR 900 with Moonhead Machine perches
Front Derailleur: XTR 900
Rear Derailleur: XTR 900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: XTR 950
Chain: Shimano HG91
Cranks: Syncros Revolution
Crank Bolts: Syncros Crank-o-matic
Chainrings: Syncros 110/74
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Ti
Pedals: PD-M735

Hub Skewers: Ringle Ti-Stix
Rims: Mavic 217
Hubs: Tune
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution
Tyres: Ritchey Force WCS 2.0

Saddle: Flite Evolution 1 Carbon/Ti
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Collar with Ti screw

Weight: 9.1 kg

At the moment I am thinking about fitting Syncros Powerblade fork with a first generation Syncros Cattleprod and switching to a Chris King 2Nut. I am very happy with the current build but the Cattlehead is quite big. The first generation Cattleprod goes together with the frame better, I think. The Syncros fork will match the cranks and the stem nicely. What do you think?

wonderful! i like all the builds, except the hotel manager's :D i actually prefer it with the Judy and 950.

personally...i would keep the steel GT fork if you intend to run rigid, it just suits it nicely.

for the 93 spec you could also consider control tech, another member on here has a furtado replica xizang that runs CT stem and post, it suits it really well, and is slightly more slender than the syncros cattlehead / prod

Whoaah Rahbari!

What a bike! I like it the most in the current incarnation.
That Revolution cranks are off the hook!!

Irvin

Thanks, guys! :) I will promise to do some nicer pics when the weather is nice again.

I thought about going Controltech on the stem but I prefer to have the parts from one brand. Using the first generation Cattleprod might improve the looks, as this stem is not as "fat". I have to get mine re-sprayed and new decals and then it will hopefully look like this:

medium_Vorbau-SyncrosCattleprod11-8x130mmmitNoodle-03.JPG

(C) Milli/mtb-news

Liking both builds a lot - period correct pips it for me. I'd like to see it with the Syncros forks :cool:

Back