Rock Shox Judy SL - Help !

dan smith

Retro Guru
Hi,

I have acquired a pair of the above with my summer project. Unfortunately they need an overhaul. I'm in the process of taking them apart however i don't seem to be able to remove the lower tubes.

I have been following the guide below:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... judyxc.pdf

I have removed the crown bolts and MCU spring assembly (whats left of it!).

I then removed the 6mm bolt at the bottom of each lower tube. Behind the 6mm bold on one of the lower tubes there is a star bolt?!, i have also removed this, at this point a small amount of oil came out? Does this need to be removed in order to remove the lower tubes? Is there meant to be one on each side? the above manual does not mention this.

Should the lower tubes just pull away or am i missing something?

I'm planning on replacing the MCU with springs however i want to make sure they are not beyond repair before doing so.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

Install the lower bolts again and give them a tap with a rubber mallet. This will free the damper shaft from the base of the lower's. The stanchions should just pull out then.

Thanks Rick, I have just done what you said and there has been some movement, however with the bolts removed again i am still unable to remove the lowers. Is there anything that could be holding them in place? Maybe the dust rings under the dust boots?

Should all the internals come out via the top crown or do the lowers need to be removed to remove the damper shaft?

Thanks

Dan

The bolts can sometimes require quite a smack, I use to use an allen key in the bolt and a good hammer.

With regards to the internals, elastomers come out the top and the cartridge comes out the bottom, you'll find a circlip holding it in.

Good luck!

hit them hard ;) IT was the advice I received when I got stuck like you. I was being too Walter the wimpy with the hammer. Needs a real hard smack

Echoing what has been said above.

1. Re-insert bolts
2. Get into the mindset of Jeremy Clarkson
3. Pick up a hammer
4. Tw*t it

If that doesn't work, repeat step 4.

;)

just to add..

when you reinstall the bolts.. dont screw them all the way in... about halfway is right with some thread still showing.. or there is nowhere for the damper shaft to move when you do hit it!

Thanks guys,

The end that connects to the bolts is free, as recomended i screwed the bolts in a few turns then gave them a smack with a rubber mallet, this freed the internals however the lowevers will still not pull off! I can only asusme they are stuck and require a bit more force.

Many thanks

Dan

i use a much longer bolt with the same thread. (its actually a dyna bolt) i screw that in in place of the rock shox bolt. i then hit it with a metal head hammer to get a good sharp tap. i think rubber mallets are too soft personally.

Still no joy! It does feel link something is holding them in place still.

I can manually compress and extend the fork OK however when extending it reaches a dead stop. One left seems to have a tiny bit of movement however the other is rock solid.

Do the black seals under the boots need to be removed first?:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/img1234w.jpg/

I’m going to try to get a very long bolt as suggested, are they always this hard to get off?

thanks

Dan

Back