Old School Grand Master

How about these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-OFF-MSRP-S ... 257b03fe7a

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Maybe in time lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
Old School Hero

I think the key to a budget rebuild is having most of the bike coming with the frame,from there you can swop/buy/sell until you have what you want.The problem comes if you have just a frame and forks with nothing else.I have a 1990 3.0 series Cannodale F/F in the attic and nothing to go with it.Every time I start costing up how much it would cost to get going again,I end up with a marriage ending bill.Each individual item seems cheap but cumulatively add up to marital hell.You think it would be nice to have a pair of wheels (would help) but then you will need a cassette,tyres and innner tubes.You have decent handlebars,but no quill stem to go with it,and then you realise you havn't got the brake levers or shifters either,but not to worry you do have a nice pair of handle bar grips.

I am busy sucking up to the guys at the re-cycling centre waiting for an XT equipped rubbish bike to appear,this could be a long term project!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

good work frank, keep an eye on the karma,s as well. this is a valuable source of parts even to the point where you could ask for something and set a price. i did with some of these bits for example a pair of tyres (not for this bike) for 12 quid posted, in the end a pair turned up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:49 pm 
Retro Guru

really like your budget approach and it looks great especially the paint job.

Def agree about some period brakes needed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Wicked little build.
I say she deserves some stickers to honour the frame.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

stickers? STICKERS!!!!! yes i agree :D gil_m will be getting my message soon. Im going for the procaliber stickers as thats the tribute idea but dont worry, I wont ever try and pass it off as one.
this was the ride into work today by the way :D it rides awesome in a 1980's kinda way

Attachments:
2013-03-12 07.29.22.jpg
2013-03-12 07.29.22.jpg [ 411.83 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

If you don't switch to canti's then bend you're front noodle to make it sit better with the cable direction. You can normally reshape them with a bit of gentle effort. It'll reduce the push of the cable, given a smoother run and straighter cable crossing between the brakes.

Looks really nice though and decals will probably be the biggest expense :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Nice bike and good work on the paint, I would agree with the brakes comment and would also use more patience to locate a DX chainset and other more period bits. It is more how to build a parts bin special than anything else at the moment.

It is tough to see this as providing any one with instructions on "how to build a retro bike on a budget"
All this thread tells me is to build a retrobike on a budget (assumed in this instance to mean low cost, but not stipulated anywhere) Then you have to be given the bulk of it free of charge then pay going prices for low rent finishing kit.

What was your intended budget & Did you meet?
Would you still of met it if like the rest of the components you paid for, you had to exchange market value sort of money for the bits you got free?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

well the budget if there was one was to build a parts bin special so i see your point, I thought I would title it as such as to provide the reader with the "be patient and things turn up" approach.
when I got the frame I wanted to recreate my old fisher experience but without building either a garage queen by throwing money at a project or building something with low grade parts. It wasnt ever meant to be a period build but on hindsight and reading the constructive remarks Im thinking canti brakes and other sundries are the order of the day.
I will re title this thread as, your right, it is misleading, jerky.
fluffy do you mean angle the pipe more than 90 degrees? or less? Im guessing more like 130 ish degrees to have the bend more like a u shape so the cable is running at more of an s shape?
thanks for the input fellas