Boulder Starship

Grumpy farmer

Dirt Disciple
The conversation about old mountain bikes started as I stood watching my father in law farting about tuning the carb on his pre 65 trials bike. "I've got an old bike you can have" he says. Naturally, images of a slightly battered mid range aluminium kona or something spring to mind until he disappears then reappears with, only a flippin' Boulder bloody Starship in Candy Red. I didn't know what to say! I did ask him if he was sure I could have it.

Anyway he thinks he bought it in 1995 as an upgrade to the Apollo GT alike that he had dabbled into mountainbiking on. He didn't ride it much as it was a step too far for a seasoned roadie and about 12months later he bought an S works stumpy hardtail with XTR, the boulder had sat there ever since, collecting dust.

It is as he bought it with XT gearing, Hope Ti hubs Middleburn chainset and the colour coded, frighteningly flexible Mazz DH3's.

I have only had a bit of a ride on it so far, the original saddle was a horribly narrow san marco Ti job and the ODI grips had been cut for the bar ends. The stem feels too long really as it's a long bike which makes the twisty DH3's feel worse. I fancy a shorter stem but also a aheadset but I'm concerned about changing the heatset as old Boulder frames headtubes have been known to crack during cup installation.

Attachments

• Boulder1.jpg
    Boulder1.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 685
  • Boulder2.jpg
    Boulder2.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 684
Well I've tried the Starship with a 100mm stem and some old Easton Monkey bars and it felt better but shockingly I cannot bond with it :shock: .
I think the problem is that back in the day this was such a dream bike that I think I somehow expect it to be 4 times better than the £600 bikes I was riding. It's certainly not twice as good as my Rockhopper even though it weighs less. Rear tyre clearance ain't upto North Yorkshire mud standards either.
It's also a step too far for me in terms of technology, as to this day I have not had a bike with suspension forks (luddite), let alone a bouncy arse.
I also don't want to damage it with my lardy 6'3" frame knowing that it's Easton 7005 stuff. I rode a Kona Kula made of, I think Easton 7005, with Mazz forks of a similar vintage to this about 9 years ago and the headtube cracked on that.

I suspect it is a 1996 build, this is an assumption as the frame number starts 96 1070.
Think I'll ask Father in law if he wants me to sell it on his behalf :facepalm: .

...my dream bike has always been an AMP but I have never bought one and probably never will for the same reason you mention above. Sometimes it is better not to find your Unicorn or meet your heroes - they are unfortunately not always as cool as they seem from a distance :-(

ovlov440":dla5jrs8 said:
...my dream bike has always been an AMP but I have never bought one and probably never will for the same reason you mention above. Sometimes it is better not to find your Unicorn or meet your heroes - they are unfortunately not always as cool as they seem from a distance :-(

Tis very true!

I think I prefer stuff that's a little bit, well, poo. I bought a Raleigh Amazon locally the other week and for some reason I think it's great, even though in 1992 I would have laughed at it. Then again I've owned a Lada Niva, a Suzuki Jimny and a Peugeot Bipper, that says it all doesn't it :LOL:

Back