1990 GT Karakoram (kinda saved)

Maxipedia

Retro Guru
I really didn't need this one, but I'm now at level 27 and the times when I really "needed" a bike are long gone I guess.

I knew about this one since a while now, when a local seller of used bike tried to pass it to me in order to make up for a bad frame he sold me, but, although I have several GT's around, one more seemed a little too much at that point. Last week I went back to see the bike, because I hoped to be able to help a fellow retro lover who was looking for something rather affordable and in decent condition. Unfortunately, size 22" seemed to big for him, so I left it to that.

I talked to the seller yesterday for something else and he told me that he already took the rear derailleur to put it on some other random bike that he had for sale. I began to be pissed of as I didn't want this bike to become an impromptu organ donor. On the other hand it was fairly cheap with 150 RON (with derailleur). I called him today and took the bike for 120 RON which is less than 30 EUR. It has no wheels and no rear derailleur and the shifters are only good as spare parts, but the paint looks in pretty okay and general condition seems fine.

I plan to clean it on this weekend and to look for the proper parts. I have Deore thumbies and some huge Deore brake levers from another bike, at least one M730 rear derailleur and some cranksets that could replace this one. Another saddle is also due, of course, new casette and chain and I will also buy new cables and housing. As for the wheels, I will most likely try to trade a set of singlewall rims laced to Alivio Parallax hubs with some Arayas laced to thin XT hubs. Yes, you guessed it, from the same guy. It seems I never learn...

DSC_0124.JPG

Looks like my first build thread!

Cheers,
Mx

Back