Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 591
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
FluffyChicken wrote:
:D

Pete, where did you find the serial number by the way, i'll then know where to scrap might paint away.

At least Steve getting these means I can do something interesting with mine paint wise and get the decal reproduced properly (I do know the other has some replacement decals on).
So thanks both of you :lol:



The serial number is on the underside of the bottom bracket shell. I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow to give you more specific co-ordinates. It's very faint though --- well, the first 3 letters are quite clear "RMA" ... it's the remainder of it that is hard to read.

Happy to see fans of these old RM's. Now if I could only find a damn 17" frame over here that didn't cost a small fortune :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16747
Location: Yorkshire, England
PeteC wrote:
FluffyChicken wrote:
:D

Pete, where did you find the serial number by the way, i'll then know where to scrap might paint away.

At least Steve getting these means I can do something interesting with mine paint wise and get the decal reproduced properly (I do know the other has some replacement decals on).
So thanks both of you :lol:



The serial number is on the underside of the bottom bracket shell. I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow to give you more specific co-ordinates. It's very faint though --- well, the first 3 letters are quite clear "RMA" ... it's the remainder of it that is hard to read.

Happy to see fans of these old RM's. Now if I could only find a damn 17" frame over here that didn't cost a small fortune :)


That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly. Still I don't need one as it's very easy to tell what frame/year it is. Just for completion sake really.
It's the first year they used 'A' in the serial to signify an Altitude. Interesting they don't put a year in though, they did later on from what it seems.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm 
iconoclassic best in show
iconoclassic best in show
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 am
Posts: 2417
Location: Derby
I can just make out the letters RMA on the other frame in that position
Think I will give it a good clean and look again under a bright light


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 591
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
FluffyChicken wrote:
That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly. Still I don't need one as it's very easy to tell what frame/year it is. Just for completion sake really.
It's the first year they used 'A' in the serial to signify an Altitude. Interesting they don't put a year in though, they did later on from what it seems.


Interesting. I still own a '93 Hammer and there's no indication of year from the frame's serial number either. Same with my 1992 Stratos. Can't recall the serial number on my 2000 Vertex though?!? I wonder what year that started?

On Steve's frame, the rest of the number looks like '002245', I think. But everything after the 'RMA' is hard to read, and I'd be hard pressed to really commit to any part of that number.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
FluffyChicken wrote:
That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly.

Have you tried shining a torch on it sideways, along the surface of the bb Ben?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16747
Location: Yorkshire, England
Steve your other frame does have as full serial as it was used to confirm it was a Team frame with Rocky and to get some more stickers back when I was looking at it as a bike.
I'll have to go through the paint first, needs to co e of anyway.


The Hammer should have a Date code as they're the Ixxxxxxxx codes I think.. Not to derail this build thread of course, :oops:

and I bet both are built quicker than mine.
;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 591
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
FluffyChicken wrote:
The Hammer should have a Date code as they're the Ixxxxxxxx codes I think.. Not to derail this build thread of course, :oops:
and I bet both are built quicker than mine.
;-)



Sorry - not to derail either, but the serial number on my Hammer is simply '8141' and it's as plain as day. If there's anything stamped before it, I can't see it.

Ben - have you posted your Altitude on here? Would love to follow that thread, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:39 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 591
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Couple o' parting shots of the Altitude before it heads across the pond.
Attachment:
DSC_0901.jpg
DSC_0901.jpg [ 35.6 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]
Attachment:
DSC_0904.jpg
DSC_0904.jpg [ 50.46 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]
Attachment:
DSC_0906.jpg
DSC_0906.jpg [ 50.86 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]


Attachments:
DSC_0909.jpg
DSC_0909.jpg [ 45.82 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 am 
eBay Outing Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 8000
Sounds primary school stuff but sometimes when I've had problems with reading frame numbers... the old pencil has saved the day ala brass rubbing


Last edited by sylus on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 am 
iconoclassic best in show
iconoclassic best in show
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 am
Posts: 2417
Location: Derby
Great pics Pete I can't wait....

Pencil , brass rubbing sounds like a plan and a bit like those forensic techniques to read letters from the next sheet of paper in the block using graphite powder

I made the mistake on the UK frame of over cleaning it and not sure I want to cut the paint back just for the number....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ghosty, pipmeister, stevet1, xerxes and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group