Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

I have a very old (and it really looks that way) Giant Sierra '89 (GR933389)
It has been standing outside for quite some time and I took it apart for parts, there is a real nice mountain LX groupset on therewhich still is in a nice condition.

Is this frame/bike interesting enough to save?
When I took it apart I kinda start liking the bike, some nice deatils, handbuild, U-brake at the bottom (so the frame should look quite nice as a singlespeed)

here are some pictures, taken with my telephone camera so do not pay attention to the quality (and the amount of thrash in the back, that is the old workplace of my late grand father, we still have to clean up the place but do not know where to start ;) )

The bike as it was standing outside for the last couple of years;
Giant.jpg

The logo;
giantlogo.jpg

The GIANT name is not a sticker but painted,..the base of the frame is white and the red was sprayed over.
GiantName.jpg

The frame dismanteld;
GiantFrame.jpg

The fork; (the headset came of like new)
GiantFork.jpg

Won't be needing this anymore;
Giant5YEARS.jpg

Handmade;
GiantHandmade.jpg

The material;
Giantsticker.jpg

It has some rust and a needs a new BB.
So what do you guys think,..new paintjob and bring it back alive?

cchris2lou":2pbvtbec said:
Save it and if you dont want it , give it to a charity .

Charity meaning a colleague retro biker?
my late grand father left me about 400 bikes ...... :roll:

no I mean a charity organisation , which will send it to africa or a place where they need bikes and cant afford them .

400 bikes , any pics ?

You don´t need it, but maybe someone want´s it. In good retrobike spirit, swap the frame you don´t use for something you may use... it´s better than through it away...

Edit: 400 ???? :shock: :shock: have you got a pic of those?

do you think that would be usefull for organisations like that?
I have no idea but never thought about that option,..i think shipping costs, buying new parts, and other things like that make this a commercial no go,... :roll:
i think that bringing it to the dump and give them the old iron value would be a better option,...

i do not have a picture of the bikes,.....but can make one if you want ;)
you have never seen such a big pile of bike junk in your life! :LOL:

Buy the way,..i have not seen any reaction yet telling me that it is a nice bike and wurth saving,.. ;) i just have been playing around with photoshop to see what it would look like as a singlespeed in off-white,..
Because there are no canti's at the back in sight,..and if i take them of on the front it will look very clean,...
I start leaning towards the saving part,.. :roll:

Save it in 100%
That's clear that it will take you a lot of work but I'm sure that it is nice bike to restore and create nice retro stuff.

Back