Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: My Yeti Ultimate rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am 
Retro Guru

I've had this bike from new in 1991(ish). Done loads on it, raced (both XC and DH), toured, commuted even road time trialed (25 odd mins for 10 miles iirc). Had other bikes as well and this wasn't always 'Top Dog' but was always there and was always fun to ride.
Sadly after several years of pretty hard use I found a crack on one of the rear drop outs when cleaning it :cry: . Had it repaired and re powder coated. This happened at a time when I'd discovered night clubs and girls ....... Oh and alcohol :mrgreen: . As a result of my non bike activitys its rebuild after repair never happened, though it was mostly a case of bolting back together.
Move on a few more years (probably about 10 or so :shock: :oops: ) and several house moves, 2 sprogs and 1 divorce, I find the need to get tinkering again :lol: . And what better to tinker with than the YETI !! The only thing against me is time, or rather lack of it :( .
I'd got , what I thought was, all the bits to build it back up. But after searching in various lofts and sheds, both mine and parents (the usual man caves :wink: ), time and my use hadn't been kind to various bits.
It did have a Hope rear hub and Ringle front hub, but when I got the wheels out of my parents loft both hub flanges had cracked. Also when I got the seatpost (Kingsbury) out of the box of parts for it, I found that it was errr.... less than straight.
Thankfully I've been in to bikes for such a long time, I'd amassed quite a few 'spares' :wink: :lol: . So hubs have been replaced with M730/2 XT units and the seat post was replaced with a Controltech one.
Here are some pics of it in its current state of rebuild. Not too sure what I was thinking when I decided to get it powder coted YELLOW :roll: . The current intention is to finnish it and have it all fettled ready for Mayhem this year (quiite fancy lining up on the startline with my YETI race top :lol: ).

One for the E-stay fans :D
XT hubbed wheels can be a bit trick, rear is built 2 cross on the non drive side and 3 cross on the drive. Front is 1 cross with alloy nipples.
And the race top. Need to loose my spare tyre for it to fit now :roll: , but I'm getting there (was 17st Jan last year, am currently 14 1/2st and plan to be arround 12 3/4st ish))

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Nicely done Chris,

I really like the yellow powder coat, keep it I say!!

Looking forward to seeing her built up, remember the good ol days at Bournemouth MTB Center with Mike and the gang :D

Rich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Come on Chris, a man of your skills should have that finished in about an hour now. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Man I love Yeti Ultimates! I can't wait for the finished product.

Still waiting for my Ultimate... :(

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Well I've been a busy bod today. :D . Used my day off to get the Yeti pretty much finished. Needs a few tweeks (don't all rebuilds/builds :roll: ), but I'm happy with it. :D :D :D

Anyhow, here's some pics :wink: .
The finished article (bar pedals :oops: )

Accu-Trax with original dacal. Otherside is missing :cry: .

Handlebar set up.PURPLE Hyperlite's, XT thumbies, NOS SS5 Mk2 in PURPLE and Pedros grips though the grips may not be staying.

Rather battered Cooks chainset with a mix match of chainrings (middle is VERY worn), UN72 B/B, XT front mech.

M900 XTR rear mech. :twisted: .

Flite 'ALPES' saddle and Control Tech seat post.

My consession to modern :oops: , Charge Splashback tyres on retro Mavic 231 rims.

Another view of the tyre and Ritchey Logic rear brake.

Cable routing as per Yeti's recomendation. I do have the illustration that came with the frameset somewere , but not to hand to take pic of :( .

Will be using it over the next week or so to bed/settle things in and to famillar myself with it again. Then hopefully doing my opening lap at Mayhem on it :D .

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Awesome ultimate. Love them in yellow.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

It lives :)
I'm so happy you have rebuilt her again.
Nothing like a quick strip/clean/rebuild project ;). How the time has flown by since I last saw you on her.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Playmobil Man wrote:
It lives :)
I'm so happy you have rebuilt her again.
Nothing like a quick strip/clean/rebuild project ;). How the time has flown by since I last saw you on her.

I'd say 10+ years is pushing the 'Quick' a bit and some bits arn't that clean :oops: .
Hope to go for an evening blast on Monday around Moors Valley to settle things in.
More pics to follow :D

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Very nice,always fancied one of these myself......................if you ever want to sell.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:30 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

That is really nice, love all the worn bits on it!! That Mavic chainring is especially nice.

Would be great to get GilM to make you up some decals to replace the missing ones, I think the frame looks a bit bare without them