rebuilt Brodie Expresso, new brodie project

jhoreth

Retro Newbie
I recently got my old Expresso back together and thought you folks might be interested in seeing it. Long story with this bike, I bought it new and rode it all over BC for years till it got stolen from my garage.
I happened to see the f__ker riding it on Quadra Street here in Victoria, locked up the car and tackled the guy off of it. Pretty funny cuz my flip flops fell off and I was running after the guy in bare feet, the car still in gear rolling away etc. My wife at the time had to get the car stopped. My son, who was about 2 then still remembers the event fondly.
Anyway the bike breakers had started to peel off decals and strip off the good stuff but I got the frame back and put it back together. Right about that time I got a downhill bike so the expresso languished in the garage till my buddy convinced me to lend it to him for a bike trip around Asia and Indonesia. He then proceeded to take full ownership of it, unbeknownst to me, even starting a travel blog "Travels with Brodie" referring to it as the "epic Brodie my friend gave me.." I finally managed to remind him that it was a loaner and got it back about 5 years ago but in a sorry state. My flite ti saddle had disappeared and there were more chipped areas than original paint. Most of the gruppo had been replaced with whatever crap he had found in his travels. It was a sad sight. But I had it back and slowly started gathering bits and pieces. It's together again now only missing some decals. I have a Sovereign as well so my son (who is now 14) and I are going to do some rigid rides so he can experience that old school feeling. He's a pretty good dirt jumper and downhiller, but has never ridden a rigid bike so it's going to be funny. Good times.

On another note I recently picked up another Brodie which I was told was a Catalyst. It is completely mangled but at least the noodle is still there. After corresponding with PB himself it was determined that it is in fact an '88 romax, built for a former BC Mtn Bike champ. Good score.

The gatorblades, top mounts and Syncros ti bb currently on the expresso are going to go on the romax. I'm going to try and find an Amp fork for the expresso as that's what I put on it back in '93 (?) when I bought it custom. The gatorblade and Syncros ti bb actually came from my '91 team Marin which has been converted into a nexus 7 speed commuter (idiot!) with horiz dropouts even - who knew these bikes would be so killer?!?

Attachments

• expresso sm.JPG
    expresso sm.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,647
  • 88 romax sm.JPG
    88 romax sm.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,647
So you're the guy that bought the Catalyst off CL. There were a bunch off people bidding on it here in Vancouver!! Anyhow welcome to the forum!!

Chickenball":8def0j09 said:
So you're the guy that bought the Catalyst off CL. There were a bunch off people bidding on it here in Vancouver!! Anyhow welcome to the forum!!

Thanks ..
Yeah, turns out it's a romax. Guess I got lucky.
PB thinks it was originally Imron dark grey metallic. Any help finding the paint code would be appreciated.

damn. i never got a reply back from the seller on that one. :(
congrats. nice it's here for us to watch get refurbished.
roy

Welcome to the forum Jeff, another Brodie in the collection you lucky bugger ;)

Cheers, Adrian :D

finally, a score not posted by Roy. :LOL:

welcome to RB! a have a few pairs of Amp forks if you fancy any trading. ;)

RockiMtn":1ymfy21q said:

Thanks. Indeed I'm looking for a black first gen Amp (I think - the one without the coil over as I recall) for the old expresso, what are you looking for?

jhoreth":2h4pgcde said:
RockiMtn":2h4pgcde said:

Thanks. Indeed I'm looking for a black first gen Amp (I think - the one without the coil over as I recall) for the old expresso, what are you looking for?

Sorry if I got your hopes up. I don't have any of the first gen black steel legs Amp F1 forks. I only have the F2 and F3 forks with the aluminum legs.

hi
would it be possible for you to post some better pictures?
some nice close up side on's of the head tube junction, the top tube
junction and bottom bracket junction (from non-drive side) please.

secondly, could you go have a very close look at the serial number again
and see if there isn't a dot ( . ) in front of the numbers. i'm assuming
since you say it's a 1988 that it's a 3 digit number. see if it looks like this .123
might be difficult to see if it's been painted over. maybe take a pen knife and
scrape it or us some paint stripper and dab it locally on number to bare the metal.
this is a very important one.
regards
roy

Latest posts

Back