Caygill Custom Columbus

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all
My first refurbishment thread (on here), thought i'd share my latest project.

I got it from the original owner, who had it built in the early 90's. Its a columbus MAX OR frame thats been fillet brazed. Its in great nick, other than a seized post which i managed to get out today.

Its full LX, but has had some god awfull later 7 speed shifters added. Its got the original Dia Compe Aheadset fitted and what i think is a MAG 20 fork (Help please? i think its a mag 20 as it has only 1 adjuster on top of one of the legs....)

Pace chainrings and some nice old 525 SPD pedals complete the package... i'm thinking a fresh powdercoat and some rigid forks. What you reckon?

Thre'll be a few of the bits surplus to requirements (including the forks when i can confirm what they are) so i'll do a sale thread soon as well

DSCF3543.jpg

DSCF3544.jpg

DSCF3545.jpg

DSCF3546.jpg

DSCF3547.jpg

DSCF3550.jpg

Re: Retro Refit: Columbus MAX OR custom fillet brazed MTB...

That looks like a rare beast. Lovely fillets too. Made in Yorkshire..?

Thanks sinnerman, the guy i got it from seemed to think it was made in Richmond, not much on the web about the builder, but its a cracking frame. I'll continue to ask around, theres a few old school touring guys from that area who come to our shop i could ask.

That is well cool..good to see another fillet brazed bike out there from a different maker :cool:

Personally I would keep it as it is unless the paint is really ratty - I think the white decals on black look really good, especially with the gold of the early mags, although it's your choice I guess. It's also useful to know the manufacturer is still alive and kicking - good to see!

I think the pictures make it look better than it is. Theres no paint at all around the rear canti mounts, and a fair bit missing from the drive side chainstay. Theres also a small dent in the top tube. So i reckon its a definite candidate for re painting, but i'd like to find a repro columbus sticker for it at least!

Can anyone help me pin down what fork it is?

That looks lovely, great find! A brighter colour will show off the fillets better :)

If you can't find a nice period steel unicrown fork (an early short Project 2 would be OK) a pair of the 531 bladed RC-30 would go well.

This might help with the fork http://mombat.org/Rock_Shox.htm

Thanks, i'm pleased this of interest to someone!

I reckon a baby blue powder coat would be nice...

Ive posted in wanted already for a P2... if not it may have to be a shorter Salsa CroMoto, but i'd rather have the Kona fork.

I'm pretty sure the fork is Mag 20, thanks for the link

I finished stripping it, just the headset cups to do, i'll do them in the shop workshop with the proper tool.

DSCF3553.jpg

jinjrich":12aedoxl said:
I reckon a baby blue powder coat would be nice...

I can imagine baby blue with dark blue, or maybe white decals. I like the headtube logo and down tube, not sure I'd refit the seat tube decal. Look like they would be easy to redraw in any case.

Back