Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1285
Location: in the harbor
lewisfoto wrote:
I would not force it, titanium can tear. Better to try and mill .04 mm off of your post or acquire the 27mm post.

thanks, I intend to do just that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Merlins are 27.2 period.

You need to gently pry the clamp open until the relief slot is straight up and down and the two sides are parallel. Then insert your 27.2 post.

Perhaps there is dirt in the seat tube, clean everything and try again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1285
Location: in the harbor
mkozaczek wrote:
Merlins are 27.2 period.

You need to gently pry the clamp open until the relief slot is straight up and down and the two sides are parallel. Then insert your 27.2 post.

...but bit risky for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 2102
Location: Best part of Holland
Cant you use the 26.8 post to pry it open?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Nader wrote:
mkozaczek wrote:
Merlins are 27.2 period.

You need to gently pry the clamp open until the relief slot is straight up and down and the two sides are parallel. Then insert your 27.2 post.

...but bit risky for me.


Just do it. Get a nice screwdriver and insert it between the pinch bolt halves and gently apply force. Happens all the time, you'll be fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1285
Location: in the harbor
mkozaczek wrote:
..
Just do it. Get a nice screwdriver and insert it between the pinch bolt halves and gently apply force. Happens all the time, you'll be fine.

ok I did it.

Image

Image

Believe me, it was not easy and that's not normal! :shock:
Now I definitely know this Merlin just needs 27 and not 27.2.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
Nader wrote:
mkozaczek wrote:
..
Just do it. Get a nice screwdriver and insert it between the pinch bolt halves and gently apply force. Happens all the time, you'll be fine.

ok I did it.

Image

Image

Believe me, it was not easy and that's not normal! :shock:
Now I definitely know this Merlin just needs 27 and not 27.2.


Good job. Now you may have a beer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 pm
Posts: 5751
Location: Portsmouth
I have the same issue with mine. I have a few posts in 27.2 and none of them fit. I haven't really looked into it too much as I am waiting until I get round to the build itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Peth
For the record a Merlin Elevator 93' takes a 27.0 post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Merlin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am
Posts: 2393
Location: SoCal, US
For the record all vintage Merlins are 27.2

You measured the ID of the seat tube which is clearly 27.2 (even though it measures 27.14) did you ever measure your seat post?? Did you try cleaning both with some scotchbrite??

I mean, why would you go against the specs and assume that your Merlin is different and needs a smaller diameter tube when all other Merlins the world over use 27.2 posts??? Now, you're going to over tighten the pinch bolt by using an undersized post and overtime brake the frame because you didn't see the problem through correctly. Your bike...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hawkhill97, Racin'snake, richbike, Spanky22b, Thias, xerxes and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group