1992 TITAN Titanium Compe

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've had this rather rare Titan Titanium Compe frame for a good while now, purchased from a very kind fellow member and tucked away in the spare room ever since. Here is what the frame looked like when I received it:

I didn't like the green, and the lacquer was in a really bad way. It was peeling and cloudy in many places and the fact that I couldn't decide how I was going to refinish it was the only reason it had been relegated to the spare room for so long! I didn't want to have it blasted as I thought a raw finish might be nice and I didn't want to texture the metal by blasting it. I looked into soda blasting, but never really got round to sorting it out.

One Sunday afternoon with our ride cancelled due to horrific weather, i picked it up and chipped a bit of lacquer off with my thumbnail. i came off fairly easy and three hours later with the help of a couple of stanley blades, I ended up with this..............

............and THIS!

Nice.
That's the second one saw recently. Did you get a matching fork?

roc6839":1xj89d9h said:
Nice.
That's the second one saw recently. Did you get a matching fork?

Thanks, yes I've seen a couple recently... There was one on eBay I think?

I didn't get the fork, but I'm going to put a set of Manitou 1 on there when I have had the ACCU-TRAX for my YETI refurbished.

roc6839":1xidaib6 said:
Did you get a matching fork?

Wanted to check the review first, but it seems the fork options were steel or aluminium, so I probably wouldn't have fitted one anyway. I have two options for this, the Manitou 1 or another ACCU-TRAX I've just picked up. I'll try both to decide which is best suited!

That's a million times nicer without paint... :cool:

If it were mine, I'd leave it raw Ti and just a couple of new decals.. :D :cool:

GT-Steve":1ljekt2o said:
That's a million times nicer without paint... :cool:

If it were mine, I'd leave it raw Ti and just a couple of new decals.. :D :cool:

Thanks mate, I agree. It really looks excellent, the welds are nice too. Hardly surprising when you read the review above and discover that they taught the chaps at Sandvik how to weld titanium!!

That's the plan, raw ti and minimal decals. I actually managed to get all of the decals off in one piece and I've sent Gil a copy for when the time comes to get them drawn up.

Never seen one of those before. Like the interesting frame design. Look forward to watching this progress.

Lovely.
I can remember seeing this when it was up for sale, and wish I'd bloody bought it now!
What would ever make someone apply such ugly paint to such a gorgeous frame??

raidan73":xehfow4s said:
Never seen one of those before. Like the interesting frame design. Look forward to watching this progress.

There aren't many about, they were built for less than two years apparently!

Back