1996/7 Specialized Hardrock

Justin Fox

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

New here and loving some of the bikes I've been checking out.

I've been busy working on a bike I found under the house. It's an old (but not vintage) Specialized Hardrock which I never really loved and only bought for fitness purposes.

I'm getting back into bikes, and the catching up on the culture has been a lot of fun. Mountain bikes in particular have come a long way since 1993 which was when I was most into them (pre-suspension forks, pre-rapid fire, pre-disc brakes).

I've built this bike without a clear goal in mind, so there's already been a little bit of trial and error, and a lot more to come. What I've done is somewhat sacreligious to some I'm sure but it's different. It's been a lot of fun though and that's what I really wanted, was to have a lot of fun building it. I'm sure when it comes time to actually start riding it, the modifications will change (I'm already thinking of going back to rigids as the front forks are way too heavy).

OK, so here's the build:

2247413641_921979fbff_o.jpg

How I found her, under the house.

2262320152_efaca83302_o.jpg

Cleaned up and serviced.

2261528987_7ef8664db2_o.jpg

Grip Shift.

2261529521_c5eba4bcdd_o.jpg

Rims and spokes were looking pretty nasty.

2273569250_c8630b3aeb_o.jpg

Off with their heads!

2282262935_ed0dda740c_o.jpg

Marzochi DJ's. I've always wanted suspension forks, never ever tried them. These were for looks, more than function though. I wanted a very beefy and aggressive front end.

2283051826_7712de5a3a_o.jpg

The bike had a 1 1/8 threaded steerer which meant I could drop in a new style stem/fork system (phew!). Also meant that I could try disc brakes!

2290271471_ea002a6f4d_o.jpg

The frame was bead blasted then powdercoated an off white.

2291065286_906cd1e094_o.jpg

The woman becomes a man.

2290271369_ea63a15cf3_o.jpg

That thin back wheel and tyre combo have got to go.

More pics soon!

Dirt jump, 4x and all that isn't my personal cup of tea....BUT I tip my hat to you as that is a beautiful restoration of a sweet bike. Lovely. :cool:

The off white works so well.

Congrats ;)

You should have had rear disc mounts and a stay brace welded on before the repaint - you know you're gonna want a rear disc sooner or later (sooner);)

I really liked the bike in its original build by the way, looks like Hardrocks got a much better spec in Oz than they did in North America.

Cheers guys, didn't think it would go down too well here, but you guys are a friendly mob :)

I do have a rear disc brake adapter but I'm loving the canti's on the back, it's just a little bit of the old bike that's still there, and still working fine. I like the idea of leaving some things from the original bike!

I doubt I'll be needing more rear brake power any time soon, but only testing time will tell.

Back