Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1990 YETI F.R.O.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm 
Retro Guru

benbonty wrote:
ameybrook wrote:
I think the Syncros parts work, but watch out for having enough threads to install a hanger beneath the top nut of the headset. An ATAC with hanger would solver this.

Thank you, good point. I've been looking for a 1 1/4" ATAC with noodle and have had a wanted post up for a while.... There doesn't seem to be many around! Hopefully, by the time I've had some more thread put onto the ACCU-TRAX forks and had them recoated, I'll have found one!

This one doesn't have a noodle, but it is 1 1/4" and black http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Answer- ... 1e76f905ef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm 
Retro Guru

ez054098 wrote:
This one doesn't have a noodle, but it is 1 1/4" and black http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Answer- ... 1e76f905ef

Thanks very much mate. I really would rather wait for one with a noodle though, I just think it looks much cleaner than having a hanger within the headset stack. I've considered shimming a 1" or 1 1/8" too, but that'll be a last resort I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 pm 
Retro Guru

benbonty wrote:
ez054098 wrote:

Thanks very much mate. I really would rather wait for one with a noodle though, I just think it looks much cleaner than having a hanger within the headset stack. I've considered shimming a 1" or 1 1/8" too, but that'll be a last resort I think.

I agree. I had the same dilemma with my Funk. I first went with the un-noodled version until I found the noodled version. Good luck. I'll be watching ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm 
Retro Guru

ez054098 wrote:
I agree. I had the same dilemma with my Funk. I first went with the un-noodled version until I found the noodled version. Good luck. I'll be watching ;)

Thanks! I'll use the Syncros and the Manitou until I sort out the ACCU-TRAX and find the right stem. Can't wait to ride it though!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Text book FRO. I dig it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 pm 
Retro Guru

rumpfy wrote:
Text book FRO. I dig it!

Thanks Eric, hope I do it justice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am 
Retro Guru

This is going to be a killer build.

Comparing your 90 with my 91 it looks as if your frame must have gone back to the factory for the usual seat tube work and reinforcement on the chainstay? Did they also add the seat collar sleeve with bolt? They did this to my 91, sort of wish they would have left the bolt thing off so i could run the original collar.

Anyway black on black=rad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 am 
Retro Guru

Mr.Toad wrote:
This is going to be a killer build.

Comparing your 90 with my 91 it looks as if your frame must have gone back to the factory for the usual seat tube work and reinforcement on the chainstay? Did they also add the seat collar sleeve with bolt? They did this to my 91, sort of wish they would have left the bolt thing off so i could run the original collar.

Anyway black on black=rad

Thanks man,

I'm not really sure on the details, as far as I know it hasn't got the seat tube mod, but the little chainstay reinforcement is there. As for the year, I'm only going off what the seller told me and I think he is going off what the chap who sold it to him told him! If anyone knows how to read these frames better than I do, I'd be interested to know how to date them accurately, if that's possible?! This one doesn't have the seat collar sleeve and bolt, I have a repro YETI clamp for it, but for some reason it seems way too small to go on.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 am 
Retro Guru

I'm certainly not an expert but I bought my FRO used in 92 (I think it was a 91 model) and it didn't have the chainstay reinforcement. The seat tube was replaced by Yeti in 94 and they added that part, replaced the seat tube, and repainted the frame.

In any case those are all improvements I would think, otherwise Yeti wouldn't have added them. I just wish mine had the original BMX style seat clamp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:45 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

2nd gen headtube badge, assuming original, is pre 91. Chainstay gusset was added around the time they swtiched to Evo headsets I think

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next