1990 YETI F.R.O.

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've always wanted a Yeti F.R.O., but I've never really actively sought one out. This has just changed, because while hunting for a suitable fork for my Titan Titanium Compe build, I ended up with more than I bargained for! I was fortunate enough to come across two suitable forks for the job, an Answer ACCU-TRAX, and an early YETI fork with Campagnolo dropouts. They duly arrived and brought with them another dilemma...... The steerers on both are much too long for the Titan's tiny headtube and fitting either of the forks I'd found would mean chopping them down significantly and probably rendering them useless for YETI owners if I should part the bike out in the future. The solution I found was a lucky one, the ACCU-TRAX and YETI forks I'd found had made me think about wanting an F.R.O. again and I remembered that one had sold on the forum just before christmas. A cheeky PM to the chap who had been to lucky buyer revealed that he was willing to sell and a deal was done. A few days later and a trip to Dave's and my problems were solved! I have some decals from Velocals, which I believe are too early, but I couldn't resist putting them on whilst I source the correct ones!

I now have a lovely F.R.O. frame, to which I will fit the ACCU-TRAX, and a very nice set of Manitou 1 which can be fitted to the Titan without rendering the forks useless for the future! I do seem to have landed myself with two projects rather than one, but at least they're pretty special ones!

I've gathered most of the components and some more are on the way, the ACCU-TRAX need a little trim and the thread needs extending, followed by a powder coat to bring them up to the same level of finish as the frame, so for now I'll build the YETI with the Manitou 1 whilst I have this work done. Just need to find someone who can extend the thread now!

Here are some group photos of the parts gathered so far......

Frame: 1990 YETI F.R.O. Large

Fork: Answer Manitou 1 or Answer ACCU-TRAX

Headset: Shimano Deore XT M737 1 1/4"
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod (Looking for a suitable ATAC!)
Handlebar: Syncros Heat Treated (Possibly looking for a suitable Hyperlite)
Grips: ODI Tomac Attak - Purple!
Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M732 - Black with Venhill Ti bolts
Brake Pads: Real Designs Cartridge
Brake Cables: Looking for Shimano SLR 2mm
Cantilever cable hangers: Undecided
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT M730
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M732 Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M732
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M732 with Venhill Ti Pivot Bolt and Black Bullseye Sealed Jockey Wheels
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano HG70 (Not yet sourced)
Chain: Not yet sourced
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT M730 - Black
Chainrings: Shimano SG - Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT M730
Pedals: Not yet sourced
Hub Skewers: Ringle Ti-Stix
Rims: Sun Chinook
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M732 - Black
Spokes: Double Butted
Tyres: Tioga Wonder Dawg
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo - White?
Seatpost: Shimano Deore XT M730
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Holey

Nader":m8fqorfl said:
thats coooool :D

benbonty":m8fqorfl said:
... not sure if the Syncros parts will work, but they're my only option at the moment....
first try it ;)

Thank you! I will try it at least until I find an ATAC. The bottom bracket arrives tomorrow so I'll start assembling it then!

I think the Syncros parts work, but watch out for having enough threads to install a hanger beneath the top nut of the headset. An ATAC with hanger would solver this.

ameybrook":2by0g083 said:
I think the Syncros parts work, but watch out for having enough threads to install a hanger beneath the top nut of the headset. An ATAC with hanger would solver this.

Thank you, good point. I've been looking for a 1 1/4" ATAC with noodle and have had a wanted post up for a while.... There doesn't seem to be many around! Hopefully, by the time I've had some more thread put onto the ACCU-TRAX forks and had them recoated, I'll have found one!

benbonty":3soifel4 said:
Thanks man, not sure if the Syncros parts will work, but they're my only option at the moment....

That was my first thought. I always liked A-TAC or a Yeti stem. That being said, I am really envious.

Back