Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:03 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:37 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Flourescent yellow on the frame with white area masked.

Forks lacquered with Auto Clear 2k 496 then decals applied then lacquered again. Don't know why I did it this way.
Edges of the flourescent yellow on frame sanded to remove line, then yellow masked off and final ground coat applied. Left to dry while I went to get a McDonald's. Then pearlescent basecoat applied.

Decals fitted, waiting for lacquer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:53 am 
Old School Grand Master

Looking good 8)

Makes me want to repaint mine... :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Dirt Disciple

Looks really good really impressed with your paint job. How hard wearing is the finish?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am 
Retro Guru

Lovely work 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am 
Old School Hero

That looks great. It's amazing how good a finish you can do with cans if you prep' right and take a bit of care. Have you got the parts to finish it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Did you here that sound? That was my jaw.. it felt down on the table.

Nice work done here! I really like the paintjob and the rebuild. Following with interest!

Cheers,
Will

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I've done some work with cans and if you buy one of those little handle gizmo's with the trigger, it's amazing how much more control you have and what a good job you can build up with a few coats.
The main thing after, is to leave the frame somewhere warm, for a week or two, to allow the paint to fully cure (I hang mine over our Aga :P ) The paint on this looks as good as new, well done fella. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Wold Ranger wrote:
I've done some work with cans and if you buy one of those little handle gizmo's with the trigger, it's amazing how much more control you have and what a good job you can build up with a few coats.
The main thing after, is to leave the frame somewhere warm, for a week or two, to allow the paint to fully cure (I hang mine over our Aga :P ) The paint on this looks as good as new, well done fella. :mrgreen:

Thanks, I've a frame that I can't justify the cost of a professional respray but being a bit of a perfectionist am in two minds about a can respray if though I can get a good finish and it can be hard wearing enough may consider giving it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Answers to questions:

No idea how hard wearing it will be, not as good as a professional one though.
I have all the original parts, except the seatpost (cut too short). Based on how well the frame came out I think I need to start polishing the origional parts!
I'm riding it next weekend Wold, I can't leave it to dry for too long!

Grockel wrote:
Thanks, I've a frame that I can't justify the cost of a professional respray but being a bit of a perfectionist am in two minds about a can respray if though I can get a good finish and it can be hard wearing enough may consider giving it a go.

I think it cost me £81 for the paint, £14 for wet & dry (not used a fraction of it though). Decals were extra. The frame was already stripped so I didn't need any paint stripper. The forks were only rubbed down from existing paint and haven't come out as well as the frame.
I used a fan heater to warm the frame up before painting, between coats and when drying. Other wise at this time of year I think it's too cold and the lacquer can go cold, I've been told that it makes the paint dry harder too.
I think it works out better to pay someone to do it!
If you use decent aerosols from a paint shop rather than Halfords you get a much better finish. The paint and lacquer could really be put on a lot thicker to get a decent finish. Halfords lacquer is hard to get right. They sell safe stuff that the public can use, if you use a decent mask and face shield you can get a much better finish with decent paint.

In all honesty, the paint is good but it's Gil's decals that make it.
I finished it at work at 6am (finished at 11pm) 12 hours later it's still marking from touch!

I'll post some pictures of it with the lacquer on when it's dry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:12 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next