First Retro - '94 Kona Kilauea

leapgate

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

I've been signed up here for a while, largely to lurk and look at all the bikes which I lusted after in my youth.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up this '94 Kona Kilauea, which looked like it had spent some time outside in the rain, but might be worth a punt.

P1050084_zpse6967201.jpg

It's been in commuter mode for a fair while I think, but has retained quite a lot of original parts, as well as some (pretty much) period correct changes:

- X-Lite Ti bar (540mm feels very narrow to me...)
- X-Lite Chicken Stix (which aren't compatible with the XT Vs)
- Mavic 217s instead of the stock 231s
- The front hub is non-standard, but has no stickers or logos, any ideas?

I've done very little with it so far, taken off the lights, bottle cage, Profile bar ends and cycle computer.

The seatpost was stiff, but not seized. A quick regrease has it sliding freely.

There's a small amount of surface rust, a few chips in the paint and the possibility of some untold horror beneath the strip of duct tape which has been applied to the underside of the downtube. I'm hoping that it's just there for protection though, rather than hiding anything nasty...

The paint and decals are good enough that I'm going to leave them as they are.

I'll be taking it slowly, with a nine month old son time is at a premium, but I intend to strip it right down and clean all the components, get some new (non-rusty) bolts in various places, replace the 'Zocchis with some P2s (I know this sacrifices the originality, but I've wanted a Kona from this model year since it was current, and the one I would have bought would have been shod with a P2), get some XT levers to go with the v-brakes, different pedals, then ride it :)

That's enough words, here are some pics as it currently is:

A down tube with a little patina:
P1050088_zpsf086a31b.jpg

Slightly peely top tube decal:
P1050092_zps838df415.jpg

The logo I've wanted on a bike since I was twelve:
P1050094_zpsa24246ff.jpg

The first titanium component I've ever owned:
P1050097_zps11d492dc.jpg

Wholly inappropriate brake levers:
P1050100_zps53442afd.jpg

My first ever piece of purple, just 20 years late:
P1050103_zps8d9e6c90.jpg

Spindly 'Zocchis:
P1050104_zps5734dc7f.jpg

Mystery front hub:
P1050109_zps80d842dc.jpg

Original seat, with just visible logos:
P1050118_zps58409923.jpg

The worst of its battle scars:
P1050121_zps968ab24d.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

zetecmk2":2hauybz8 said:
it's a great feeling when you get something you have wanted for years :D

I know, brilliant!

zetecmk2":2hauybz8 said:
is that a hope ti hub?

I have an inkling it could be, but am hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm my suspicions :)

Nice !!! Looks exactly like my hope ti hub on one of my commuter rigs(minus logo) sure it's a fatso ?

looks like Hope to me. Nice find. I got a rough, for want of a better description, pencil from Halfords to remove the surface rust on my old Ascent. Used it to clean off the surface rust without damaging the surrounding paint, then clear lacquered touch up to stop it coming back, and getting worse. Since you are not going for a respray, I suggest doing something similar. You could hardly see the lacquer once it was on, and in my opinion looks better than coloured touch up.

That's a very nice looking Kona, I love the Kona's of the early 90's, they just look right somehow.

Get peddling !

Plus one":3lbh9118 said:
Nice !!! Looks exactly like my hope ti hub on one of my commuter rigs(minus logo) sure it's a fatso ?

It's a Hope Suspension hub.
early version of it in keeping with the frame era.

Back