Klein attitude Dolomite restoration final pics & tech spec

Olan21

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Klein Attitude restoration part1

I will try to explain all the steps that I am doing to restore a Klein Attitude Team Dolomite.
First of all I would like to thank you to the RB people who help me on that restoration, special thanks to Thesneaker who always answered all my doubts.
I bought the frame on ebay. As per the seller description the only work to do was to repaint it. After a month and a half I get the frame.
The status of the frame was far away from the Ebay description.
The fork was drilled, the seat tube had a crack, it was lack of material on the rear derailleur support and the Mc1 handlebar was cut...
The worse think was the drilled fork. I imagine that the previous owner tried to repair a rear scratch on the fork drilling by the front in order to hit trough the fork. The result was some cracks on the back side (you can see in the pictures) and a hole on the front, let me say it was not a surgeon work.
As expected the frame paint was in really poor conditions. The original paint was team Dolomite. The frame it seems a late 1991 or 1992 (I do not know if team Dolomite was offered in 1992).
I was looking for some company able to repair the frame set in a good way. At the end I found Alkon company not far away from Barcelona where I am located. It is a small company focus in bike repairs (Steel, alu or carbon). I leave the link may can help somebody:
http://www.alkonracing.com/index.html
The frame was well repaired by Alkon, basically: Fork repaired, Handlebar extended, seat tube crack repaired, material added on the rear derailleur support and a general cleaning in the oxidation areas.
The fork was well repaired but I prefer the box fork on a team Dolomite. After looking for I found a VGC fork in the area. The repaired fork will be used in another project on going.
The frame set in now in the painter. I will keep the fork with the original paint, the frame and Mc1 will be repainted. The result in 2-3 weeks, hopping that the colors will match.
During that time I was looking for components to assemble the bike. The bike will be fully assembled with a NOS or VGC Shimano XT 73x components. Currently few parts are missing (hubs and front derrailleur).
I will update the post once the frame will be back from the painter and will be mounted.

Attachments

• Shimano XT 730 group.jpg
    Shimano XT 730 group.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • repair Klein Attitude pic3.jpg
    repair Klein Attitude pic3.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • repair Klein Attitude pic2.jpg
    repair Klein Attitude pic2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,704
  • repair Klein Attitude pic1.jpg
    repair Klein Attitude pic1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,704
merckx":2qo54tj7 said:
wow, where on earth did you find that groupset? the parts are amazing

Indeed :shock:

Great to see you are switching to the Box fork, dont think i could have trusted the butched one (if the bike is to be a rider ?)

Wow no expense spared! The repairs look to be done very well.

Did you get some money back from the frame seller?

Thank you for your comments.

The parts waa collected on RB forum, ebay and on the shops around my town. It took me around 9 months.

The saddle is good but the seller much better. ;)

Due to the status of the fork my idea was to repair the fork and then assemble on the bike as a garage queen. The mate who reapired said me that I can ride with no problem. It was welded and then filled with some alu material (impossible to get more information).

I will ride the bike!! I will do some competition as well.

CTK":3kgotvh4 said:
Wow no expense spared! The repairs look to be done very well.

Did you get some money back from the frame seller?

Unfortunately not. I start the claim on ebay but never arrived a good end. The seller said that it was a problem of the transport. :evil:

I love bikes like this so much more than NOS finds. There's so much more hard work, love, sweat and tears that's going in to this. Well done for saving another cool bike from the scrap pile!

Can't wait to see the finished item.

Re: Klein attitude Dolomite restoration

blimey.

there will be no better end to this that the satisfaction it will bring you once its finished.

great project.

Back