Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Gloucestershire
Some more progress today - spent a couple of hours or so this afternoon on it.

I gave the front wheel a good clean, stripped the wheel spindle from the hub and got the old grease out - had the bearings out and cleaned them up, and re-assembled with fresh grease - rolls a lot better now as it was a bit notchy.

I then degreased the rest of the bike, i was just going to wash it with soapy water, but the chain, jockey wheels, cogs and crank were absolutely caked in old lube, grit and dirt so brushed on some water based Jizer all over the bike and gave the worst areas a good scrubbing.

Finished off by fitting the front rim tape, tube and tyre and polished a couple of spots on the frame to see how it would come up - not too bad apart from the small rust spots dotted about.

Here's some pics -

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Gloucestershire
This evening i went to strip and regrease the rear wheel bearings, the hubs and bearings were full of a mix water and old manky grease - they were in a lot worse state than the front hub.

As i cleaned things up i noticed scores and pitting on the bearing races, cones and the majority of the bearings themselves.

Could anyone advise best how to sort this? i was thinking of just fitting new bearings and grease, but then there's the problem of the cones and races / cups. I know i could probably get replacement cones. Is it also possible to get new cups, or are they a fixed part of the hub?

Thanks in advance.

Here's some pics -

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Gloucestershire
Did a bit more on it this evening:

Stripped the front end out, cleaned and regreased the headrace bearings. Also used a bit of wire wool and polish on the chrome cups and fixings as they were a bit rusty.

Gave the handlebars a bit of a polish - they're a bit rusty as well, but no come up too badly. Also adjusted and set up the front canti brake properly after cleaning and greasing the pivot mounts. Lubed the brake and gear cables as well.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cce, longun, retrobikeguy, Thias and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group