Pine Mountain addiction....1992 Marin PM

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Whilst browsing eBay a few months before xmas I spotted a sad looking Marin Pine Mountain frame with a seized seatpost......so decided I had to rescue it. There don't seem to be many of these around and they seem to be quite a good alternative to the zolatone PM's which are now popular and seem to be fetching quite a good price

The post came out with some experimentation with freezespray and some brute force. I stripped the frame back to bare metal to clean up the rust (these Marins are surprisingly rusty under what looks like good paint!)

Applied 1 coat of grey etch primer, 3 coats of white primer, 3 coats of Halfords fluro orange, 3 coats of clear lacquer, then 3 coats of Plasticote satin stove black (with a bit of careful masking) - the frame is starting to look a little healthier.

Not sure what to think of the colour match - I think it's pretty close to what it would've been originally - according to the brochure and the NOS stem I've got for it......but it's a million miles away from the faded yellowly colour of every other '92 PM picture that I've seen!

Either way - it's gonna look quite fresh and clean when it's finished.

Attachments

• pm Marin.jpg
    pm Marin.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,743
  • pm QR.jpg
    pm QR.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,743
  • pm 92.jpg
    pm 92.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,743
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 2,742
  • pinem.JPG
    pinem.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,742
Looking good. :D

Are the downtube decals the same as 1993, as i have nos set if you want to copy.

Nice looking Marin, great colour and nice work so far. I am restoring a 1993 Marin Eldridge Grade at the moment to its former glory and shall be following your build with interest. Marin sure built some great bikes in the early days, but I feel the reputation of the later ones seems to have tarnished the Marin brand as a whole, including these early ones which is a shame as they were great to race and ride back then.

marvellous!

lick 'o' paint has given it a new lease of life. i will check for updates.

Have you got any forks sorted? i have some rockstar forks from a '95 bear valley that need a purpose and a lick of paint. depending on steerer length etc...you can have them for postage cost.

cheers.

Top job will follow with interest as I'm soon to start a 89 pine mountain just in the process of sourcing parts....are you going for factory spec or something newer?

Back