1992 Zaskar

merckx

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So for me, 91-92 Zaskars have that Mastercard "priceless" aspect. When I was a lad at high school, and first joined the Cairns MTB Club, they were a seminal bike owned by a few guys in the club. They were the bike to have, and were really symbolic to me of my first foray into proper off roading. I have always wanted one, they are just hard to find in Australia. Particularly the 20" frames.

And whilst I still love 93 onwards, for me, the real hey-day of GT mountain bikes were the earlier ones. I think once they took the names off the bikes downtubes, it really was the start of the normalisation process..

Anyway..this one came to me from California, sourced from the 'bay. It was in well used, but not abused condition. It had spent time outside, everything was rusty and oxidised.

Essentially all I have done is clean her up and a good service. I was amazed to find all the main components were in very good running order. The XT hubs still spin buttery smooth. I put some top tube (91), head tube and seat stay decals on to spruce her up. Downtubes are original and a bit worn, but I just autosoled gently over the top of them.

Being 20" it fits me much better than the 19" '95 model I also own.

I am loving the steel fork, it just feels sharp and precise.

The U Brake rear performs so much better than the cantilever versions later. I think it was a mistake of GT to move away from the rear U Brake, certainly until the V Brake arrived anyway.

Still a few minor tweaks to come, but for intents and purposes she is done, and is my new daily rider.

IMG_3578copy_zps77da5e64.jpg

Frame: GT Zaskar, 1992 build, 20"
Fork: Cro-mo

Headset: Tioga
Stem: GT Cro-mo Flip Flop
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips:

Brakes: Shimano XT Cantilever, XT U Brake
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Levers:Shimano XT

Shifters: Shimano XT Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur:Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur:Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano 7 Speed
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Topline CNC
Chainrings: Onza Buzz Saw granny and middle, Sugino big ring.
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: M737 SPD's

Hub Skewers:
Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Shimano XT
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Wheelsmith

Saddle: Flite re-pro
Seatpost: Carbon wrapped thingamy
Seatpost Binder:

Sweeeeeeeet!

Looks like a rocket.
Nice build too, clean and factory. love these set up fully rigid, think it looks and works best.

Will send up some 91 zaskar/gt catalog bits I have that you might find usefull (never going to use em me thinks ;) )

Still have the 95? good to hear 20 has a better fit

13":1ctlhufy said:
Sweeeeeeeet!

Looks like a rocket.
Nice build too, clean and factory. love these set up fully rigid, think it looks and works best.

Will send up some 91 zaskar/gt catalog bits I have that you might find usefull (never going to use em me thinks ;) )

Still have the 95? good to hear 20 has a better fit

cool, thanks! yes still have the 95, you are welcome to hang it on your wall if you would like, i am running out of space here! you are taller than me though, so perhaps its not a great idea. i am thinking of loaning it to dad, its a good size for him and i think he would be motivated to ride it if it was at his place

Yea good idea could even swap out the bravado frame as I have a 93 (94 issue?) 20" LE I'll send up too, may be able to build up with the parts from your 95?

13":2g8jzmnx said:
Yea good idea could even swap out the bravado frame as I have a 93 (94 issue?) 20" LE I'll send up too, may be able to build up with the parts from your 95?

man you have collected some stuff :LOL:

Back