Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am 
Dirt Disciple

Got hold of this (plus a couple of wheels with knackered bearings, not in shot!) last week for not a lot due to a nastily stuck seatpost. The plan is to get the post out and fix it up and use it as a back-up bike to use when my more modern mountain bike is out of action, and for more gentle jaunts down towpaths or cycle network routes.

It probably looks a little tidier in the pictures than it actually is, but I'm hoping it should clean up nicely.

Apologies for the crap picture, will take a better one later.

Attachments:
photo(10).JPG
photo(10).JPG [ 207.07 KiB | Viewed 1923 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am 
Dirt Disciple

I do love the frames of this era of Specialized. Even the entry level bikes. The frames always look so clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I like these fames a lot. I had one as a hack bike for a few years and passed it on to a friend. You'll be surprised how nice it feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Grockel wrote:
I do love the frames of this era of Specialized. Even the entry level bikes. The frames always look so clean.

+1. As others have mentioned before me, I think you'll be quite surprised at how nimble these bikes can be. What are you build/specification plans for this lil' lovely. How did you manage to remove the seatpost? what method did you use?.

Oh, btw - do take a look at the Specialized Archive, located on RetroBike. You'll be able to date your bike, learn of it's original components and gaze at nineties niceties :D. If no other reason they're a great way to let the hours slip away :wink:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

RustyGold wrote:
Grockel wrote:

+1. As others have mentioned before me, I think you'll be quite surprised at how nimble these bikes can be. What are you build/specification plans for this lil' lovely. How did you manage to remove the seatpost? what method did you use?.

Oh, btw - do take a look at the Specialized Archive, located on RetroBike. You'll be able to date your bike, learn of it's original components and gaze at nineties niceties :D. If no other reason they're a great way to let the hours slip away :wink:.

That's a dangerous link to post when I've got a busy day :wink:

Seat post is still there, so I'll be using caustic soda to dissolve it, hopefully this weekend. My build plans are nothing too exciting I'm afraid! For now this is going to be more of a 'hack', so I'll just be getting it working as cheaply as possible, I'm hoping to find a set of basic replacement wheels, replace anything on the drivetrain that needs it (most likely the chain), and sling on the Conti Travel Contacts that were on my other bike when I bought it, as those should be just right for the Hardrock's intended use. I might also use the caustic to (carefully...) remove the godawful purple anodizing you can see in the picture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Think it's from 1992. Just sold mine! Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 am 
Old School Hero

I have a 1993 Hardrock Sport. Sure a nice bike and rides well even considered a low end bike.