Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Orange E3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Tried the foil method to remove the lacquer but couldn't get it to work - user error no doubt. So then moved onto Nitromors paintstripper - however, the newer green stuff is not as potent so it took a few coats before I started to have any joy.

Started off with some course steel wool to remove most of it - quite fiddly around the welds (there are still some small bits left which I haven't had the patience to sort yet). Once the lacquer was out the way I could see any areas that needed particular attention - namely the chainstay which had small amount of chain suck - sanded this out with some course wet n dry.

Then I used a stepped-process of about 3 different grades of wet n dry (240 - 400 - 600). This left me with a good base for polishing.

I bought a cheap polishing kit for my drill off eBay a few weeks back and had already practiced on a couple of other frames and some old cranks etc. Again, this is a stepped process using 3 different drill attachments and two different grades of polishing block.

All in all - reckon I spent a good 6-7 hours doing this from start to finish - and I'm still not done!

I know others would much rather pay for a professional to do it for them, and I can see the benefits - however, I always saw this as a slow burner type project though and in a funny sort of way I found the polishing quite therapeutic...and I now have forearms like Popeye!! 8)

Post subject: Re: Orange E3
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Built her back up. Picture taken with all the other siblings, two of them sadly now passed away due to head-tube trauma. The frame in foreground though is most recently purchased from Matthews in the preferred 19" so looking forward to giving it a polish and some decals - then this project should be complete :D :D

Attachments:
DSCF5160.jpg
DSCF5160.jpg [ 503.01 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]