Orange E3

markwoo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey, first post so go easy...

I've had my E3 since '96. Serial number starts in A506 so my understanding is that it is a '95 model. It has purple decals too if that helps.

I took it out the shed earlier this week, having had it stored away unused for the last 7-8 years. Due to a stress fracture induced from marathon running (stupid idea eh?) I've decided to take the weight off my shins and get back in the saddle...

...one major problem - I managed to snap off the shrader air valve on one of the forks legs when dragging it out the shed!! Not good. I think this is karma due to me naively trading in the original Pace RC35s for a set of RC38 LTs around 2004.

I'm eager to get the bike back on the road but want to do it properly this time and try to fit as many original parts as possible. I'm leaning towards trading in the RC38s and getting a decent pair of RC35s again.

I'd appreciate any advice that you guys have to offer.

I think it was the MXC model that I had originally. Does this sound about right for a '95 model. Presumably this is a better fit for the correct frame geometry etc...

Is it worth me getting the forks fixed before trading them?

Pics to follow soon.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Day 1

Fresh out the shed. A quick wipe down reveals the size of the task ahead to get it back into shape.

DSCF4579.jpg

DSCF4580.jpg

DSCF4581.jpg

DSCF4582.jpg

hi, you certainly have a good base to start from, i like those E'3 ;)

quite rhetorical really. the cockpit needs some rustic charm.

fork-wise go for whatever you feel comfortable with, the existing ones have to go ;). maybe a longer stem with less rise too, would help if you can reduce the amount of headset spacers. purely aesthetic i know but, i want to see better proportioning upfront :)

nice pair of wheels too.

keep us updated on what changes you make.

cheers.

Agreed. The front end needs a complete overhaul. I've still got the original hot rod handlebars and orange sk6 threaded stem minus the threaded bar or any bolts...

If I go back in for a pair of RC35s then I need to decide on whether to revert back to threaded steerer or not...is there much in it or is this is a no-brainer?

Following that, need to think of the colour scheme. I'd like to keep the Purple decals, although the frame is going to need a strip and polish. Any guidance on where to get replacement decals would be greatly received - I'm somewhat of a novice having been out of the game for so long...

...by doing so then I could try to get purple bridges and crown end caps for the replacement forks, then continue that colour scheme throughout.

Are retro tyres still available or would I just need to find suitable more contemporary ones?

tyres, yes i'd go black wall and whatever works for you.plenty of those around if anything.

have a read through this for inspiration...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

agreed with the purple colours. i'm not 100% sure on orange decal availabiliy but the man the ask is gil_m, a member on here who produces decals for all manner of cycling. i would be surprised if he doesn't have them on file!
some of the guys in the link above may be able to vouch for any decal related produce. johnnyboy666 practically has orange juice in his vascular system :LOL:

cheers.

the forks look kak

it might be worth contacting justbackdated he, Tim is a member here and is ex pace and reasonably priced so might be able to help with the broken valve possibly to get it repaired then sell onwards to fund the the new front

Unless your a "must have shocks" kinda person I'd be tempted to go for rigid forks possibly f7's or 8's or maybe even if it can fit some nice pace rc30's?

I'm guessing by the high spacers,stem and riser bars that the frame is a bit to small so you installed those parts to make it comfortable to ride. if that's the case I would just simply change the spacers to silver to make it less obvious

Agree on tyres, a matching black pair would suit

@marctwotone - cheers for that - I'll give gil_m a shout when I'm at that stage.

@stylus - yep - whole front end looks gash. I'm in touch with Tim - it looks like it's going to cost in excess of a ton to get the forks fixed, with their resale value prob not being much more...maybe possibility of px'ing them with Tim for some RC35s MXCDs though.

I'm not gonna go rigid at this stage. The reason for the funny setup at the front was that I was living in Canada for a year in 2004 and was doing a lot tougher descents - the spacers were just laziness on not getting the steerer cut to size. I'm looking to revert back to my original orange sk8 stem, hot rod bars and xlite stubbies once I've got the forks sorted.

Cheers for advice on the tyres - I had green michelin wildgrippers on before with matching green yeti grips. Just gutted how I ruined the purity of this bike...but good thing is the situation is rectifiable :)

Just about dismantled fully now. Next stop a good clean and polish!

Very nice bike - personally, I'd also like to see amberwalls, a Flite and revert back to canti's as well as what's already been mentioned for the front end :D

Great project, though, not many seen on here!

Situation just got a load worse...on closer inspection it appears that there are 2 almighty cracks in my headtube....I'm assuming this render the frame extinct??? Absolutely gutted. I am scared to use any force to get the forks off, which have not come off with a gentle tap with hammer and piece of wood.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new frame :(

I'm hoping someone will tell me otherwise...but I can't see that size of crack being repairable...serious sick feeling in stomach moment.

Anyone got a spare e3 frame knocking around??!!

Attachments

• DSCF4586_1.jpg
    DSCF4586_1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 694
  • DSCF4585_1.jpg
    DSCF4585_1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 694
Back