Mr Kirk's Nightmare... vive la Revolution!!

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Somehow, and I'm not quite sure how, but this thing has found it's way into my man cave...

IMG_1016.jpg

Yep, it's a kiddies die-cast playbike :LOL:

aka a Kirk Revolution 400LX, of 1992 vintage I believe. Frame no: 1145/ serial: 57627. Die-cast magnesium alloy frame, "Precision Cast In England"
:D , "Assembled By Dawes" :shock: :?

Why do I like it? because of how it looks, because it's an e-stay design, because it has "retro" 80's computer style decals, because it has a story and a history behind it (granted, it's not a glittering history :roll: , but it's interesting nonetheless).

So, will I be building it up with NOS XTR M900 and other "boutique" components? Certainly not!! It will be an eclectic mix of parts to get it up and running so that I can at least ride it once before it breaks and everyone says "told you so!" :LOL:

If anyones still reading and not thought "oh another idiot has gone and bought himself a Kirk :roll: " then there's a few more pics below...

2013-01-21151233.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

ps: brownie points to anyone who knows the background to the threads title...

Kirk

I think you are spot on with the test ride idea. I've made that same mistake in the past. Its easy to get wrapped up in moment with these awesome looking machines. But if the bike rides like a piece o crap, in the end it's just like adding racing stripes to a Yugo.

Ben

Re: Kirk

Benzosol":3c6hb8zt said:
in the end it's just like adding racing stripes to a Yugo.

You mean something like this....??

1991%2BYugo%2B1.jpg

The phrase "you can't polish a turd" does spring to mind :LOL:

Snappy!

Man were those cars crazy.
Here in the states there was a GT version too, from what I remember.
It matches the Kirk.....

Ben

Love to see something different getting some exposure, instead of the same old predictable "scene" kit... Get full Campag on that mo-fo ;)

2_1405_YTiJtUenSe.jpg

Question 1... what size seatpost does this frame take?

Question 2... can anyone think of a compatible rear disc brake adapter that will work with this frame? given the slightly unconventional arrangement at the rear end.

No idea about seat post size but stay the hell away from disc brake adapters on this tough-but-brittle frame.
After your test ride please deck it out with N.O.S. M900. They're beautiful.

I always liked the look of them, but due to their history, I have to ask. Where's the crack? :twisted:

On a serious note, stay away from disc brakes, not only can you not fit them, but if somehow you did, the frame would shatter the first time you pulled the lever.

Full NOS M900 or Campag would be sweet :D

Back