Ritchey Everest 1981. "Big Red"

Ductape

BoTM Winner
After sitting on it for a couple of years, finally started putting this little jewel together. Plans to ride it at the Keyesville Classic in a couple of months. Parts are sorted with the exception of wheels (not many choices in 1981) but I think I have an angle on a set of those. Wax is on, time to clean, lube and build:

IMG_1851.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

32 years of cool! When I started collecting bikes, I knew I wanted an early Everest (before I determined I really needed an Annapurna! Where does it end). To me, this bike exemplifies what a "Vintage" mountainbike really is. Probably showing my age a little by gravitating towards the early rides. I am totally stoked.

Heeeeeeeeeeeey Batter, batter, batter, batter, swing!

loving this and pulling up a seat and putting the kettle on.

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished bike :)

Slow moving.
Bought new BB bearings Monday, cleaned the rust off the axle and then pressed the BB in. Seatpost cleaned and saddle put on. Spent an hour cleaning and lubing the FD for it's first time in 30 +years. Tonight I will be at the sink cleaning Chainrings and crank arms.

All this so I can take pictures and get it dirty again. :? :?

I will try to take a few pics. tonight.

Need to buy some Brooks saddle grease/oil. I got the bike with a well used Flyer but changed it to a B72. Think the Flyer will find it's way onto the 39 Schwinn.

Labor of love.

Picked up a Craigslist donor bike yesterday. 1983 Univega Alpina Pro. Nice set of black Araya 7x rims, Suntour XC2 pedals, Crossroads 2 tires with decent sidewalls among other things.

May lace up a set of old steel Phil hubs to these rims and use them on the Everest or save them for a different project. Mounted the wheels last night just to have a look see and admittedly the black rims looked nice. The Crossroads 2 looked good and I will probably call them good enough for this project. They appear to be in nice shape. Granted they are a few years too new. I have one set of era correct Mitsubishi Snakebellies that would work for a photoshoot but I would be concerned that they might not hold up for more than one ride.

Back