1990 - Muddy Fox Prestige Comp

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'd given up looking for one of these to add to my collection of Prestige framed production bikes, then in the market place watch some kind sole listed it :)

Scan of the 1990 brochure is HERE thanks to drcarlos, here is the page for the Prestige Comp:

drcarlos":12p8m3vv said:
img016.jpg

This was third in the 1990 line up - top of the prestige tig welded steel bikes.

Detailing wise I'd say it's similar to a Orange Prestige/Clockwork from the same era - interesting to see how it rides.

I had the usual trepidation when you go and pick something up that was bought from a punt on eBay, crap phone picture, collection only, but I was pleasantly surprised :D Apart form the wheels/tyres/saddle which I knew were rubbish it is in original condition retaining all the XC Comp bits and stem/bars/seat post.

The frame was adorned with various skate/surf stickers which I've removed and it's in good shape, no rust, a few knocks to the paint here and there all the stickers where they should be. I'll give it a good polish, maybe touch up some of the worst chips and leave it at that. The paint is black with a sparkle - :cool:

I'm going to build it back up with the Suntour stuff. Wheels will determine the rest of the build, either:

➡️ Black rm20/DX and a HG 7 speed cassette - if I go this way I might use DX thumbies and a DX rear mech too.
➡️ m231CD/Mavic in which case I'll either need to find a Suntour 7 speed freewheel or go with Shimano hyperglide again.

I used to run Shimano rear gearing and Suntour front BITD as it was the best of both so maybe I will do that again :?

Tyres FJ Cousins until I get some more Timbuk IIs from first flight.

Hoping to get this one up and running fairly quickly, some pics of the frame:

Attachments

• DSC_0267.jpg
    DSC_0267.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,369
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,369
  • DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,369
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • DSC_0263.jpg
    DSC_0263.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,366
  • DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • DSC_0268.jpg
    DSC_0268.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,368
excellent project for restore to oridginal. keep the thread up to date with progress :D

Thanks for the comments chaps, here's a update from today's garage time allowed by the mrs!

Decided to go with the m231/mavic wheels - they suit the bike well I think and currently have a 7 speed shimano HG freewheel fitted.

Fitted some NOS prestige bars and a tidy Avocet R1.

Been playing with the controls - currently I have it set up with some XC Pro brake levers/thumbies, but I think tomorrow I will try Shimano thumbies and SS5's which is what I used to run BITD - Porcipaws fitted too :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,221
  • DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,221
luverly n :cool:

if I'd not just bought my alu team pro i'da been fighting you for it!

I'm pleased too, that like me you let your mrs cook in the workshop sometimes ;)

"camped on da sofa for this one" :LOL:

Archemist":2i1ihpay said:
I'm pleased too, that like me you let your mrs cook in the workshop sometimes ;)

Not that brave I'm afraid - I snuck it in to take a pic or two while she was glued to some b****ks on TV :LOL:

Back