1992 Terry Dolan Cougar

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
In an attempt to finish some builds I am trying to finish one project per month this year, probably not going to happen, but it seems to have given me some momentum. February is this (I finished the Evans in early January so thought I'd get an early start):

IMAGE_FA41666A-1044-4585-A709-D680B469F48A.JPG

This is only the second Cougar MTB I had ever seen, and after enjoying the other Cougar (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167553&highlight=) I sort of had to have this one when it popped up in the WIW thread. It came fully built, rather untidy and covered in grime, some stripping, binning, cleaning and latterly some T-Cutting have brought it up well, the paint is missing in places and there are some gouges, but I'm not going to repaint as I like patina!

IMAGE_39C20FAB-286B-4939-A25D-93AB4F6C7F8A.JPG

I am not all that keen on the red decals, and had thought of replacing them with black before it arrived, but as they are under the lacquer they shall stay, they have influenced a few other component choices too. My guess is 1992 as it has the braze-on at the rear of the seat tube for a front mech roller, pre-dating top pull front mechs, and the frame number has a 2 in it, Dolan are less than helpful with confirming this, but it's good enough for me.

Build will be Suntour XC Pro; Dia Compe SS5/987 brakes; Salsa stem; Mavic headset; True Temper bars; ODI grips; Turbo saddle; M231 hubs; Ritchey tyres; Zero skewers (new for 92!) and some other 92 bits and bobs. Wheels will get built next week and then I just need to source a front and rear mech and some other little bits and bobs.

NOS:
IMAGE_0F734EF2-B1D0-479C-B567-B843E0D62026.JPG

NOT NOS:
IMAGE_D568F633-4BA0-4A61-8F6F-A9EDD4D5286A.JPG

Controls:
IMAGE_FDF96367-39E6-4271-8B73-48408E7BE01A.JPG

Splash of red:
IMAGE_93BC2E57-5003-47D9-AB7B-85B5A8991B2E.JPG

NeilM":3xkqtjht said:
Nice.

I shall watch with interest. :cool:

Likewise. It's great to see a departure from the norm, in bicycle selection that is. It's great to see an independent/small builder(s) work rebuilt on here....not that I don't love me a Specialized, Kona, Cannondale, et al ;).

This is going to be lovely Roly. Especially in silver and red.... :cool:

Did you hear any more on the Lee Cooper on the How Much thread..?

that would be a worthy additon too.....imho.

Very nice Roly, looks lovely and I love the splash of red.

Looking forward to the updates.

Frame builder

My colleague seems to think he may have built that frame when he worked for Cougar. If its mainly fillet brazed its pretty certain.

Re: Frame builder

slimjoe":50jdi2l1 said:
My colleague seems to think he may have built that frame when he worked for Cougar. If its mainly fillet brazed its pretty certain.

That's pretty cool Joe, I will take some more pics, but yes it is mainly FB'd with a lugged BB, construction is the same as my other one, though the roller for a top routed BP front mech indicates it is earlier. The forks are different and the weight of the green one is lower, but we shall see what the difference in the ride is.

You are correct Mr Badger-sex, the cantilevers pictured are XC Pro, but I also have one pair of 987s, so i will either find another pair of one of them, or more likely use a combo, you eagle-eyed mother-humper.

May have been a wee bit optimistic about completing this in the month of Februaury, seems I have done more or less feck all in the past couple of weeks to reach the self-inflicted target what with selling a flat and general life getting in't way, however, I have managed to sort the following:

• Wheels built, tyres, tubes and XC Pro cassette going on this evening,
• Headset in, but crown race needs setting properly and I may have to take 5mm off the steerer to correctly fit with the Mavic headset.
• Mechs sourced and polished up a little (but not too much, no point going overboard!)
• Realised that this BB will not work with my ring choice, so going to have to find something else

5 days to go, will I make it, does anyone care, do I care, who's counting anyway?

Back