Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:41 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Rod_Saetan wrote:
May have been a wee bit optimistic about completing this in the month of Februaury, seems I have done more or less feck all in the past couple of weeks to reach the self-inflicted target what with selling a flat and general life getting in't way, however, I have managed to sort the following:

• Wheels built, tyres, tubes and XC Pro cassette going on this evening,
• Headset in, but crown race needs setting properly and I may have to take 5mm off the steerer to correctly fit with the Mavic headset.
• Mechs sourced and polished up a little (but not too much, no point going overboard!)
• Realised that this BB will not work with my ring choice, so going to have to find something else

5 days to go, will I make it, does anyone care, do I care, who's counting anyway?

I CARE.... :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:29 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

sinnerman wrote:
Rod_Saetan wrote:
May have been a wee bit optimistic about completing this in the month of Februaury, seems I have done more or less feck all in the past couple of weeks to reach the self-inflicted target what with selling a flat and general life getting in't way, however, I have managed to sort the following:

• Headset in, but crown race needs setting properly and I may have to take 5mm off the steerer to correctly fit with the Mavic headset.
• Mechs sourced and polished up a little (but not too much, no point going overboard!)
• Realised that this BB will not work with my ring choice, so going to have to find something else

5 days to go, will I make it, does anyone care, do I care, who's counting anyway?

I CARE.... :oops:

Me too :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:44 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Rod_Saetan wrote:

We are ALL counting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm 
Retro Guru

+10 points for the picture disk of Dare!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Ha! Good eyes, I have the white picture disk version as well, is it odd to have 6 different versions of one album in the same format? Who am I asking - a bunch of people who think it normal to have 6 very similar outdated bikes? Freaks, all of us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Rod_Saetan wrote:
is it odd to have 6 different versions of one album in the same format?

It's weird that you only have 6 - unless they only pressed 6 different versions :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm a non-completist, completist collector, in that I try and fulfill collections, but I can't really be arsed to figure out if I am missing something. I have about 20 Turbo saddles, no idea which ones I don't have though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Well, looks like I got this finished just in time for my self-imposed February dead-line*

Some spec changes were forced upon me: The Salsa stem was too long, and the front cable routing was ungainly, so I pulled out this neat Specialized one, but this is still 20mm too long, so I will replace with something more suitable, in the right dimensions once it is sourced; I lost the front mech cable pulley I had carefully put to one side, so I sort of made one out of washers, it's serviceable, but not ideal; the fork needs cutting down 5mm, the Mavic headset, though deep as f**k is still a little too long; I haven't had the heart to cut down the NOS Suntour Accushift cable outers whilst I don't have the right stem on there, so they look a little daft; I need a 25 tooth granny ring, the current 26 tooth is a little too close for comfort; I think the red ano skewers might be a bit bling for me, but they are British, and were introduced in 92, and sort of work.

Enough prattle, pics:

Suntour XC Pro 7 speed non-MD; Mavic M231 rims; Specialized stem; True Temper bar; NOS Ritchey Mega/Alpha bite tyres; Mavic 315 headset; Zero skewers; XC Pro post; Dia Compe 987/XC Pro brakes; ODI 1/2 attack grips; Selle Turbo saddle; XC Pro pedals with Cateye clips and Lapize vegan straps.

*it is the 29th today, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Excellent mate, I like it. A lot.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Was talking to Rob Hayles about bikes a month or 3 back (he was laughing at my crash inflicted black eyes and cut up face) and he was worried I had killed my Pace (instead I killed my old Dolan Cougar roadie). Rob's missus rides a Cougar mountain bike, apparently they didn't actually make that many. Those that were made were made in farm gate sizes. So small ones are hen's teeth rare.

As an aside I hads a technical query when building up my Dolan carbon road frame. Phoned them up "someone will call you back in 5 minutes". Terry Dolan phoned back and started reminiscing about welding frames. He was on the phone for about half an hour.