1992 Specialized M2 Team - Ned Replica

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
I’ve always admired Ned Overend’s bikes. They were never quite as flashy as Tomac’s or Herbold’s, but from a racer’s perspective, they were always spec’d with enough care to make them stand out. Something uniquely cool about them… built for speed is what comes to mind. I visit the display at MBS in Durango almost daily, and although I could be bullied into owning any or all of them, Ned’s 1992 Team M2 is the only one that really interests me. Serious stuff considering it hangs next to his 1993 Ti/Carbon Ultimate.

For the most part this is an exact replica of Ned’s 1992 Specialized M2 Team. I’ve consulted a few people on this, and I know there were different specs for the team bikes in late 1991 and early 92. The team began using Control Tech, which is shown on Osguthorpe’s bike in the 25th Anniversary Stumpjumper book, but then switched to Zoom, most likely because of sponsorship. Ned says the bike at MBS was likely his build for worlds that year. He is nearly certain the team did not begin using a Sugino disc until late 92, and full-time in 1993.

The only original picture I can find on the net is here: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/a ... CN1220.jpg

The real deal: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/a ... m2team.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Frame: 1992 Specialized M2 Team - 18â€

That's an awesome build Ameybrook,

I was only just looking at the advert in MBUK that they only built 500 framesets of the Team M2...

Fantastic that you have all the original equipment for it too...bet she's a sweet ride!

Thanks for sharing

Rich :)

Another bike which IMO defines retrobike. Clean lines, sweet colour combo and built to ride fast all day long.

A very cool build Mike - you must be very pleased with that result. I remember the pictures of the original :shock:

Stunning bike, I love it :cool:

Great to see some retro Zoom kit.

Only comment - please put some bar end plugs on :shock: Without them you'll core your legs if you have an 'off'!

Great to see 'The Lung'; but where's his facial hair gone?!

Gotta love that bike, very clean and original build.

I remember lusting after the M2 in the shop in a green to purple fade, nice bikes. My steel stumpy came fitted with the same "extreme" rear tire. No end of traction form the paddle like blocks across that thread. But I recall on the tarmac it sounded as if a litlle motor was running in the rear, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. old ladies would get out of my way on the commute to work

Enjoy!!

Back