1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude

troje

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
My start of the weekend can't be any better, as this is what was delivered to me today :D

It's a 1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude in 19.5" size. Frankly, I cannot believe how well it survived the 18 years. It's used and ofcourse marks here and there, the occasional chainsuck and some paint is chipped off. But the paint itselfs looks like new and the decals have some marks but still look great.

I'm puzzled with the colour. When you look at the picture in the brochure, you would think the '94 edition is mostly silver. But in reality, it's a great two tone of silver and green, very much depending on the angle you look at it.

This is not going to be a weekend build. Partly because I don't have all parts lying around, but mainly because I haven't made up my mind yet on what to fit. I'm a big fan of Syncros and I think it should be equipped with a Mag21. But what about the wheels, brakes and shifters? Turbine LP's are almost mandatory, but can I find them in the red/purple kind of anodizing style, similar to the seat collar? And the same dilemma for the headset, the brochure version shows a RaceFace aheadset in that same colour...

P1010630.JPG

P1010631.JPG

P1010632.JPG

DSC_0689.JPG

P1010634.JPG

P1010635.JPG

P1010636.JPG

Well I know somebody with the red headset and cranks I think. but he's also building a 1994 Altitude, a bit more work though and might need you pictures to get a few things put back on it correctly.

It would have to be MAG SL-Ti though being 1994 ;)

Still further along than my project, mine needs some paint at some point.

Are you going to replace the ActionTec drip at the bottom, I notice a lack of chainsuck plate fixing not there ? Did they not have them in the 1994 version.

Thanks Fluffy! You just made me remember I should take some pics of the holes in the seatstays ;)

And the Mag21 SL... That's for sure a great fork! I have two Mag21's lying around, a red '93 version that does not suit, and a much better gold '94 version in very good condition. Hmmm... should I go for the SL hunt?

Of course I'm willing to help with pictures and documentation for the other guy's restoration! Is he willing to part from these cranks and headset?

I need to put something in the hole in the bottom, any idea what should suit?

Anti chainsuck device.... Can't see any marks of one fitted... Brochure is not too helpful either...

Get a red headset and cranks then leave them out in the sun for a while? Should get to close to that seatclamp colour...

Have always loved that year of Rocky's, you have a great frame.

ringo's serial number is just a few up from yours so confirms it pretty well.

A DryValve goes in the bottom, you have about as much as I do once I pulled the er valve out :LOL:

http://www.actiontec.us/attack.htm

I wouldn't bother with the SL's, just get an SL steerer for weight :LOL:
the paint would only flake away and look bad anyway.

Nice frame, I'll put some pics of mine up... but it's had it front mech cable stops removed and has been powder coated light blue! Those crazy singlespeed cats eh?

I have Mag 21 SL Ti's for sale.... :D

Perfect condition and hold air well, just the usual marks under the lacquer..

ringo":3mxgpv76 said:
Nice frame, I'll put some pics of mine up... but it's had it front mech cable stops removed and has been powder coated light blue! Those crazy singlespeed cats eh?

I have Mag 21 SL Ti's for sale.... :D

Perfect condition and hold air well, just the usual marks under the lacquer..

That's the one on ebay UK, right? Too bad about the cable stops and rear brake hanger. Are you going to get that fixed? Let me know, I have a similar issue.

Looking forward to the pics!

Given that the frame will need repainting, I will get cable stops brazed on by a shop in Leeds (that have an excellent frame builder). I will probably give the rear canti stop a miss, as I can get away with running early XT V's...

I'm not going to do a catalogue build - I've enough of those currently on the go!

As a complete fluke, I have a NOS set of Ritchey Rock rims, identical to those in the 94 catalogue and I've some White Industries hubs to build them into.

Fork wise I have a choice... the Mag 21 Ti Sl's (above) or the yellow Judy SL's that came on the frame.

If I go the Judy route, I might be naughty and try to paint a 94 frame like this... I was tempted to paint in 94 colours as silver looked easy, I wasn't aware of the green fade...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213312

Good to see yours has the seat clamp - what size is it?

Pics of mine later!

Back