Explosif Dream

Should this build thread be in >97 or 97>?

• ===> 97 (Pre 97)

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 97===> (Post 97)

Votes: 30 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dongward

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
EDIT - Taking a poll on this one - If the results are the 'post 97', I'll start a new thread there.

Frame: 1998 Explosif Reynolds 853 18" - 2000gms

Fork: Amp F4 - 1446gms

Headset: Chris King Turquoise - 99gms
Stem: Syncros - 197gms
Handlebar:Renthal Sub 120 143gms
Grips:
Barends: Onza - 195gms

Brakes: Proshift - 216gms
Brake Pads: no name heavy orange things - 160gms!
Brake Cables: iLinks - 75gms
Cantilever cable hangers: none
Brake Levers: Paul - 115gms
Shifters: Campagnolo Record thumbies mounted on Velo Orange thumb mounts
Front Derailleur: Paul - 110gms
Rear Derailleur: Proshift - 179gms
Derailleur Cables: iLinks - 75gms
Cassette:
Chain:
Cranks: Cook Bros F 510gms (inc. crank caps)
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Real (NOS) 44t outer - 78gms
Chainring bolts:Middleburn - 12gms
Bottom Bracket: Hope Titanium - 174gms
Pedals: DMR V12(?) 526gms!

Hub Skewers: Ringle Twisters Turquoise - 90gms
Rims: Mavic 517 (NOS)
Hubs: Middleburn (NOS)
Nipples: Nickel plated brass
Spokes: Sapim double butted - wheels 1656gms
Tyres: Maxxis C-1106 Butterscotch
Tubes: Schwalbe XXLight presta
Seatpost: Ringle Moby - 244gms
Seatpost Binder: Kona - ~25gms

Weight: So far, 7699 grams or 17lbs... was hoping to get this in about 9525 grams or 21lbs
Cost: So far, £1,354.00

The story so far. 1 Year gone by and still collecting parts. Frame due to be sprayed in the next month or so...

3 Principles are guiding this build:

1 - The cliche, 'all the parts I could never afford bitd'
2 - No Shimano (inspired by a BoTM comp)
3 - No component black - not sure why... (I've allowed logo's on the proshift mech and syncros stem as its not worth removing them....yet)

sounds like a mish mash off years but im looking forward to seeing the outcome!

some pics please.

Yeah - this isn't a year specific build by any stretch... mostly my take on desirable parts through the 90's. I am planning to photograph every component, give the weight of each and how much it cost me...

It is my first build hence the cliche - I would love to do a period specific Kona, a refurb of a knackered specimen or, ideally, a brodie :D

I like an eclectic build so looking forward to this.

How' you planning on getting the rear mech to work with the Record thumbies Donnie? you might get away with just swapping the top jockey for a floating jobbie, as it'll allow a bit of leeway. If not, a Jtek Shiftmate works well - at a price.

ferrus":leiw5eih said:
I like an eclectic build so looking forward to this.

How' you planning on getting the rear mech to work with the Record thumbies Donnie? you might get away with just swapping the top jockey for a floating jobbie, as it'll allow a bit of leeway. If not, a Jtek Shiftmate works well - at a price.

I hadn't anticipated any issues - I'm waiting for Velo Orange thumbies to come back into stock and assumed they'd run fine with each other. They'll be friction so shouldn't be an issue - I'm not fussed with any indexing :cool: The proshift seems to have float in the jockey wheel already too

Looking forward to seeing this - an Explosif with a diverse list of bits built on lightweight lines is on my list of things to do one day.

oh, thats going to be promising :cool:

going to watch this with interest to see what weight you will achieve, as I have the same project in mind, but with a 18" 96 Columbus Max frame.

magas":2e242amg said:
oh, thats going to be promising :cool:

going to watch this with interest to see what weight you will achieve, as I have the same project in mind, but with a 18" 96 Columbus Max frame.

...that is my favourite explosif frame - and in my size too! - but I just couldn't find one for this build. Do you have a weight for your frame as the 853 seems a tad on the heavy side to me...

Back