1996 GT LTS-2

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
Always wanted an LTS in the mid 90s, how I envied the senior DH guys squeaking down the hill on their shiny LTS-DHs as a junior.
This '96 LTS-2 frame came up for a reasonable price so I nabbed it. I know its just a boring Taiwan LTS but I like it.

As received, mostly tidy but pretty oxidised (had given the driveside chainstay a quick rub with some autosol):

20121214_184221.jpg

I'm not looking for a new bike finish since a lot of the parts, while tidy, do have a bit of 'patina' and IMO unless you're going to refurbish everything or go full NOS, tidy works better than 'popping fresh' with slightly worn parts.
So I got onto it with the mothers powerball and gave it a good clean up, hit the decals with some cut'n'polish compound, wet and dry'd out some nasty marks in the top tube. While there are still some cable rub scars under the TT and such I think it came out well.

Did a mockup with most of the bits I want to use:

20130109_171322.jpg

Final spec will change a bit of course.
I have some hardcoat middleburn rings coming, should have a black chris king headset. I have yet to source a front derailleur (31.8 bottom pull M900 or M737 would be great if anyone has one!) and the fork probably will go (it has a broken pushrod at the foot bolt and I can't get spares...much like when I raced on mach 5s).

I have locked in this much of the spec...

Frame: 1996 GT LTS-2

Headset: Chris King nothreadset, black
Stem: Syncros cattlehead OR Azonic Shorty 75mm
Handlebar: Answer Taperlite II silver OR Azonic World Force 1.5" rise
Grips: Oury Yellow...maybe red
Brakes: Magura Raceline
Shifters: M900 XTR, magura shifter clamps
Front Derailleur: ???
Rear Derailleur: M900 XTR mid cage
Derailleur Cables:Shimano
Cassette: HG70-I
Chain:Shimano HG91
Cranks: XT M737
Crank Bolts: Brand-X self extractor
Chainrings: Middleburn hardcoat 22-34-46
Chainring bolts: Shimano or red Brand-X
Bottom Bracket: UN52

Hub Skewers: Deore LX M570
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite
Hubs: Deore LX M570
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Panaracer Duster VF/VR or Panaracer Magic (white) or Continental Montanna rust wall or Panaracer Dart/Smoke Classic...
Tubes: Kenda

Waiting on rims and spokes to build a second set of wheels which will be:
Rims: Mavic XM317 Silver
Hubs: Deore XT M737 front, GT-Hadley rear
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT

Saddle: Flite 1990
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: GT

Haha, I wish it was my workshop space too! I oddjob in a bike shop on weekends and they let me use their spare workshop bay whenever I need it and I store the bikes that don't fit at home there.

Awesome bike! Good job with the frame... ;-) I have a LTS boomerang looking to be rebuilt similarly... just with Judy DH, full XTR including V-brakes etc, has Syncros stem, but Ringle seatpost, just needs the same seat as your's mmmm ;-). look forward to seeing a foto of your complete bike! Keep up the good work!

Far from being a "Boring Taiwan LTS" that's a fantastic frame and project, spec sounds great, if you have never ridden an LTS they do ride fantastic, very active but passive at the same time :cool:

Still miss my old DH :cry:

ltsbraes.jpg

Yeah I have done some seat time on LTSs and as with all Horst-link bikes they agreed with my riding style pretty well (DH being better since you could run it a bit deeper in the travel and really rail stuff with the slacker head angle). So I'm looking forward to it Still want a LTS-DH, my unicorn for sure. Failing that a Team LTS with the ti linkage.

Wanted a DH ever since I saw this pic in Australian Mountain Bike magazine

robwoodsltsdh.jpg

'97 I reckon that is, Rob Woods' bike, he was one of the Aussie distributor's team riders.

Here's mine after I stripped down & polished the scabby ol' frame and applied new decals and some shiny bits....not everyones cup of tea, but I love it!

Attachments

• rsz_photo1356.jpg
    rsz_photo1356.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 4,790

Latest posts

Back