My 1989 kona explosif project(finally after 25 yrs) pic on 5

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Well what can i say,after that fateful day as a 13 year old walking into Denton cycles in Newcastle and seeing one of these hanging up i knew i had to own one. After week after week month after month of dragging my mam up there begging her to buy me it she caved in and said i was getting a mountain bike. Up to Denton cycles we went,what was waiting for me a Muddy Fox Pathfinder my first mountain bike,not quite an explosif but after i got over the shock i was hooked on mountain biking for life and swore i'd own THE explosif one day. 25 years later and i'm that 13 year old kid all over again,finally i own one :) I'll upload pictures of the build as it go's on and send out some begging letters for parts aswell :) i only need a couple of Deore II stuff and a 26.6mm XT seatpost really and it's done.

Explosif

Built up in mock set up,sorry about picture quality iPhones are pants,better ones to follow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,093
Explosif

Going to change the front cantilevers from XT m-730 to a original spec mt-62 set. The hubs at the moment are nos deore DX,they'll be changed to Deore II when i find some.

Spec of the bike

The spec of the bike at the moment. Original Deore II parts are: u-brake,2 finger brake levers,classic thumbies,chainset,front mech,BB,rear mech. Other parts are: nos Deore DX hubs on Araya rx7 rims,DX comp pedals,nos Deore XT seatclamp,nos turbo saddle,Ex seatpost to be changed for a XT one,original tange cd headset,original Brodie stem,Tioga tange prestige bars.

Awesome!!! Still one of my fave bikes of all time. Denton Cycles now there is a blast from the past. Loved that shop :)

Cheers Saracensteve,it was worth the wait :) when the frame&forks were deleivered that was the first I'd seen one since Denton Cycles had one. I'm guessing your from round Newcastle if you know the shop,me and my mates used to go up there every Saturday to look at the bikes.

Brilliant bike from a brilliant era, if you've got to have it then you've got to have it no matter how long the wait :D

Looks spot on so far!! I had one of these...lovely they are even if the ride didn't suit me...think it was too small :?

I remember Denton's well...bought my C16R from there in 1995. Unfortunately, Colin Davidson, the guy who ran Denton Cycles died last year...whilst out riding in the Lakes from what i gather...sorely missed by many :(

Anyhoo, keep up the good work!! :cool:

Didn't know that he'd died,he was a spot on bloke,as kids we used to ride up there every saturday,on the way we'd pop into hardistys.He used to give us all the latest catalogues. Someone told me they moved to scotswood road.

Back