Muddy Fox Mountaineer 2000

fuddymox1994

Dirt Disciple
Hello there all,

My first post, and Im all of a bother.

I have inherited a Muddy Fox Mountaineer 2000 mountain bike from my recently passed away uncle, and I made him a promise before he died ( it was unexpected) that I would repair it and make it good.

As i Can tell the bike is totally original, except for the saddle and tyres which had totally rotted through and had spiders living in them (It was kept in his garage since new).

I will post some pictures in my next post.

But my first task is to work out the spec of this bike and confirm if it its truly standard and as it should be.. Is there anyway to shed any light on spec and what it should be?

Thanks in advance

check out the muddy fox catalogues in the gallery section. on the top banner is the gallery and archive button :D

I had a quick look only a 1991 catalogue... the bike is prety non descript.

handle bars are rock rider comp. grip shifts are sram mx170-71
front mech is shimano
rear mech is shimana sis
cantilever brakes and no name on brake levers...

more i look at it, it looks more of a bitsa built on a muddy fox frame. oh joy.

20130107_2203411_zpsb62dbc57.jpg

20130107_2204441_zps13c9ca40.jpg

looks pretty original would say the bars havebeen changed and the pedals.

canti's date it pre 97 probably but not by much

pedals i put on just to give it a quick ride.

grip shifters seem very notchy so i might take the whole thing to pieces first
job for the weekend :p

thansk for your help

small update:

started taking this bike apart. parts are pretty non descript based on others i have seen on this site.

so what to do,

strip it down and rebuild, I do like the idea of a single freewheel on the rear with double or triple in the front.

it requires a new headset, so i hace thought about putting a cartridge bearing headset in

replacing the bars with flats or even cut down drop bars.
if i decide with cut down drop bars any suggestion on what brake levers to use.?

or should i go single front with rear cassette and mech?

will use it mainly on road to get fit.

any suggestions?

Flat Bars keep the levers and cantis fit some thumbies. Personally I would rebuild it and keep it 3 x 7 on the gears, if you do go single speed then stick with single front and single rear 1 x 1, you may have to play around with different gear combos until you get the right for your riding style. Hence keeping it 3 x 7 will give you the selections you need :) I'm currently working on a Muddy Fox Alu Sport for the wife, great bikes and make into nice solid dependable ride :) keep your eyes on the forsale section you will soon pick up some bargain parts for the rebuild :)

It's an entry level muddy fox so i would just ride it till something breaks then replace stuff

Back