Bottom Bracket XTR 112.5MM
Pedals VP CLIPLESS
Quick Release REAR ONLY
Rims D521CD
Hubs HOPE BULB CIRCA 98
Tyres TIOGA RED PHOENIX 2.1
Saddle VELO TI
Seatpost RINGLE MOBY 27.0MM

A few bits and bobs to do yet, the fork may not stay on this bike as yet.

Anyone know what year the frame is?

mark
main.php

AFAIAA the Cindy has never been that colour, so I would be fairly certain that it has been repainted. The decals are the 1999/2000 ones and look as though they have been retro-fitted as they are peeling, whereas factory ones are lacquered over in my experience (which admittedly is of older frames). The frame is definitely not a 1999 or a 2000 though and a quick run through suggests from details like the gusset, dropouts etc that it looks most similar to the 2002 frame, which was originally white and blue with red decals.

keeping your fingers firmly crossed, try this: http://web.archive.org/web/200202051058 ... _index.cfm

edit: for some reason, you then need to click on 2002 bikes etc, but it is there if you want to find it

the paint

This is the original paint, i can tell by the way the serial number is masked off under the bb.
it may not be a cindercone though.. but the frame is from portugal....this may have been a different colour outside u.k

mark

decal

the glow in the dark ones, the early ones, were fitted over the paint, anyone know what year they started to fit these??

cheers
mark

Re: the paint

marky mark":hl8fmwdm said:
This is the original paint, i can tell by the way the serial number is masked off under the bb.
it may not be a cindercone though.. but the frame is from portugal....this may have been a different colour outside u.k

mark

I have never known them use different colours for different countries - they're painted in Taiwan (by Giant apparently) and sent anywhere. You look at the frame details and make up your own mind, but it definitely looks like a 2002 frame to me and it also looks like a Cinder Cone - and no other 2002 model was that colour.

Wow! The bike ended up beautiful! If i suspected the frame would look so good when fully built, i would kept it.

Frame was bought originally from a friend of mine. I hasn´t been resprayed and those are the original decals.

cheers chaps

cheers victor for clearing that up.

Yep looking at the KONA website, it looks to be a 2002 frame, and as i said the paint appears to be original, the stickers are glow in the dark ones and they did fit them over laquer at first.
as to the colour of a cindercone for this year i must say this one still puzzles me.

i'm not worried though, it just the hack single speed, with a added jumpy twist.
i like it anyway..

maybe someone will know what model it is, the colour is awesome in the sunshine.

mark

With all due respect to Vitorzip, it can't be the original paint and decals, as the decals are from 1999 or 2000 and the frames from those years were different, less burly gussets and top and down tubes further apart at the head tube. And the paint is surely too good to be Kona paint - I've never seen a 8-year old Kona look that good!

It seems to me it's a 2002 Cinder Cone that has been repainted to a high standard and it's a very nice bike indeed. The only slight problem is the peeling decals, which isn't exactly a big issue. Personally I would get a set of red 2002 decals from Gil_M for c£15 and IMO it would look even tastier, but that's just a personal opinion.

You could always ask tech@konaworld to give you the year/model from the frame number.

Mate, i´m not going to discuss this with you, but if you like this color, i believe i can get you one as well. There are lots of gold Cinder Cones on portuguese trails, just have to convince someone to sell me one and i´ll ship it to you...

Previous owner bought it in local Kona retailer, not so long ago (sorry, don´t remember exact year), brand new, and the only 2 persons he trusted and alowed to mount/dismantle the bike was me and the shop owner, a common friend.

Decals are not peeling, they got f***ed in some fall, and this paintjob (don´t know if you saw the bike closely) looks like anodized, it´s not something you can easily paint in your local car repair garage...

Back