91 Eldridge Grade - Zolatone

jimbog

Senior Retro Guru
Had this for a month or so and have not really been sure what to do with it. Re paint? sell? leave as is? Having picked up my matching pine mountain I have re-kindled my enthusiasm.

Much like my Pine mountain, re creating Zolatone seems to be a real ball ache. Adding the time involved and the money also I have decided to leave it as is and just build her back up to original spec and get out there and use it. No need for garage queen re paint only to be afraid of getting her muddy.

I have a free day tomorrow so I am aiming to make a good start. Will keep the post updated if anybody is interested.

020-3_zps87dd7e04.jpg

021-3_zpsacf0f7ec.jpg

That's a nice little Eldridge you have there.. what size is it, 15.5? Looks like a good base for a good build... Makes me miss mine! :)

PopsTrippin":zutmcmco said:
That's a nice little Eldridge you have there.. what size is it, 15.5? Looks like a good base for a good build... Makes me miss mine! :)

Cheers guys. It's a 17" centre to top. Got all the original lx/DX bits to go back on it :) the only thing I don't have are the original bars.

jimbog":1i6wogbs said:
Cheers guys. It's a 17" centre to top. Got all the original lx/DX bits to go back on it :) the only thing I don't have are the original bars.

That'll be a 15.5 centre to centre then ;) I had a 17.5 and as such was a little too small so i fitted black riser bars ( a sin, i know ) and the black looked ok against the vibrant orange/red and Zolatone :cool:

It looks very good in those pictures. Build it and ride all winter and see how it looks in the summer. Even then only the forks look like they may need doing.

Decals point to it being a 1992 so it would be a satin finish and not zolatone so easier to replicate? Saying that, doesn't look like it needs it.

Before anyone says, I know the 92's had a painted rear triangle but I'm pretty sure you could have this finish as an option ;)

That is true my friend. The frame does show similarities to a 92 but the spec on the bike ie rear mech etc is bang on 91 catalogue spec. I think it maybe a very late 91-very early 92 where they have used up some 91 spec components on the first of the 92 frames. I will check the code on the bottom bracket shell and find out.

Based on the post that I have copied below it is a 91 as the frame code is M31B022.

I have more answers...

Take my frame number

M74HAB182

The M is the factory.

M is Marvel, F is Fairly and T is Ti sports

7 is the model number. Exclude the Ti bikes and work down the list eg.

1 Team Issue
2 Team Marin
3 Pine Mountain
4 Eldridge grade
5 Bear Valley
6 Muirwoods
7 Palisades Trail
8 Bobcat Trail

4 is the year ending number. That would be 1994.

HA is month and date, but you will need the Enigma machine to decode these. Not really relevant either!

B is the size centre to centre.

A is 14 inches
B is 15.5 inches ( this makes it 17 centre to top)
C is 17 inches
D is 19 inches
E is 20 inches

182 are production numbers that are factory use only, and again require the Enigma machine.

So, from that you can calculate the year, model and place it was made.

Seems I have a 94 Palisades Trail frame and forks. The frames were all the same up to Eldridge and then they used Tange prestige or Superlight tubing.

Latest posts

Back