Alien invasion……..

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have been after a E-stay bike that was in a such state that I could bring it back to life full of modern parts and not feel bad about it. So I have ended up with a 1991 Nishiki Alien SP frame, its got a cracked head tube, the seat tub is cracked and the paint is shocking. Chris Marshall ( frame builder in Keighley) is doing the repairs on the frame for me and I will post up some more pictures when I get it back from him.

The plan at the moment is to fit what I have in the box of bits, not to repaint it and to fit some 80mm forks on it probably a set of Rockshox Recons and ride it. Then get it looking nice over time if I like it.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking forward to updates.......... is there any chance you could PM me on how much the repair is costing? I am thinking of popping over to see Chris to make a couple of changes to my frames but don't want to waste his time - amazing workshop though!!

Shayne":3fu0uhgo said:
Fitting a 80mm travel fork isn't doing that already weak headutbe any favours.

There is an other discussion there and there is only one way to find out for sure and that's to put the forks on the bike and see how it goes. It is one of the reasons why I'm putting it together on the cheep and ruff. I want to make sure I like it, it rides well and stays together before I spend to much on it.

Rob I will pm you when I have the final cost of the fix.

Well the new forks are out the window after getting in the car fixed so going to get something cheep and functional for now.

So what would you recommend?

I have a wanted thread open and pm me if you have anything you need rid of.

alien

I used to work for the uk importers of nishiki, those frames were the replacement ones for the first batch of alien als that broke, make sure you check under the curve on the downtube for cracks aswell as under the curve on the lower chain stay. They were great bikes to ride, just a shame they cracked so easy. i have a friend with an acx [half cromo half alu] BUT HES NOT FOR SELLING IT..shame eh., good look with the build.

Dilemma time do I stick with putting disc brakes on, this is still going to cost me £20 or do I spent some cash and fit magura rim brakes? Are the magurs going to be better for the bike, in termed putting the braking forces in the right place.

I can not make my mind up, some help please.

So I have a few part now, starting to feel like a proper build.

main.php

main.php

A massive thank you to Marc for the forks, :D they are very very nice.

On odd mix of bits I know and some nice colour clashing between the frame and the forks but it going to ridden so I'm not to bothered at the moment.

A few firsts for me, I have never had a set of Manitou fork and never used Magura brakes so it will be interesting to see how these turn out.
Tempted to fully strip down and service both before I even try them??????????

My Alien fame is ready to pick up after being repaired, but I can no get to it until Friday.

Now I have a real dilemma I have the parts for one bike build and two frames.

Alien or Al mega :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :? :? :?

MADB":walhpz8r said:
My Alien fame is ready to pick up after being repaired, but I can no get to it until Friday.

Now I have a real dilemma I have the parts for one bike build and two frames.

Alien or Al mega :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :? :? :?

Build the al mega and ride for a week or two, then dismantle and build the alien realising its much better, far cooler and ride it forever :cool:

If you don't build the al mega first you will be wondered what it was like....

Nishiki Alien > Alpinestars Al Mega

Back