Mongoose IBOC Sport 94-95

g_rick

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I've just spent the last couple of hrs viewing this forum to see if anyone else has one of these. It doesn't look like it. I bought it new in 95 I think but it may have been the 94 model, it cost £450 and had cro-mo forks and a full STX groupset . I had the AMP F3's fitted in 97.

MongooseIBOCSport94.jpg

Its been around the houses (literately) I went and worked abroad for a few yrs and my younger brother had it and generally mistreated it. Last yr my brother got a trek 4500 and this rekindled my love mtb so we went up Haldon forest for a thrash. Needless to say I wiped out big time and scrapped my shin but to be fair it wasn't the bike but the tyres. After that first thrash we decied to try some other places so I set to fettling the bike. On resetting the front brake pads the cable would pull through the locking screw on the brake arm, the thead had gone the the screw ( luckily this didn't happen on the black run at Haldon) So I decided to upgrade the brakes to V's. What a total pain the arse that turned out to be. In the end I got some XT canti's from chainreaction and set about replacing the front brakes. Unfortunately the left brake had seized on the spigot and after a lot of trying this and that it ended up shearing off. No problem I'll just pop along to the bikeshed (in Exeter) and get a replacement spigot. Turns out all the fixtures and fittings on the AMP are imperial and they only had metric and couldnt see where I'd get the bit I needed from. OK, time to ditch the AMP's and get a new fork. I ended up with the 80mm Suntour XCM for £40 and modified the cable hanger to fit the brace. It all works very well now. With this setup and decent tyres I can now keep up with the younger bro!

Mongoose002.jpg

Mongoose003.jpg

Mongoose005.jpg

Mongoose004.jpg

Mongoose001.jpg

Mongoose008.jpg

The piece of old inner tube wrapped round the top tube is covering a small dint I put in it 12 yrs ago.

Cheers :)

Nice, I like the bike better without the AMP fork, any idea what IBOC stands for? International Bike Of Champions? ;)

Thanks, :eek: I,ve just had a quick look on the frame and your right about the IBOC.
I'm not sure the pictures fully convey the lovely shimmer to the green paintwork.

Hey, You're not the only one with that bike i've got one too - had mine from new and recently got riding again. Like you had a right job replacing the forks.
Must admit to thinking about getting another one as i'm doing more riding these days but i'm still very sentimental about my mongoose as i love it. I need to get something with the same feel i think.

I thought you could get amp spares from USA?

Nice bike , history and patina are always good to find :cool:

Nice bike! I have an older IBOC I am restoring now, I will post some pictures soon. Out of curiousity, do you still have the AMP fork? I would be interested....
Hmm, IBOC, I would like to know how the brilliant marketeer that came up with that abbreviation now feels about it. :oops: Although, IBOC itself is not to bad.

Hi,

Nice Mongoose Iboc bike and nice colour ;)

I have also a Mongoose Iboc comp sx (1995) in the colour Bright Bleu,but the bike is no for sale in parts!

And have also a Mongoose Iboc comp (1996) in the colour Brushed polished with a RS Sid World Cup carbon 80mm in the colour silver.

Nice to read,that here are some Mongoose Freaks at the forum :)

Cheers,

Mark

It seems Mongoose marketeers were doing a good job in Holland, I'm the third "Cloggy" IBOC owner in this thread.

Mine's a 1992ish IBOC Pro SX with Carbon fibre main frame tubes and with a distinct looped aluminium tube rear end, much like the old Yeti designs:

IBOCproSX_1.JPG

You can see the family resemblance to yours, anmd that I changed forks too, The pace are also '97 IIRC. And I also have read you can still get all the AMP fork spares from California.

Enjoy!!

Kind of sentimental here but i've just ordered a brand new bike and don't really have the space for 2 bikes.

Would anyone be interested in my Mongoose IBOC Sport '95? I've upgraded the forks to Manitou Axels i think but i still have the original ones if you want to go all the way back. Otherwise its more or less original.

It would be nice to see it go to a proper home instead of just eBay'ing it.

PM me for more info and photos etc.

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback I thought this thread was long dead......

I've changed the bike setup to a singlespeed with v-brakes and it now has a spanking set of S/H P2 forks (gunmetal) which really suit it helps raise the front a bit and allows some stem/bar adjustment. I thought about selling it and did try half heartedly but no-one was interested and I have a soft spot for it.

Sorry to say that the AMPs got binned (at the local recycling centre) one of the front brake mounts sheared off and getting a replacement proved impossible. All this was before I discovered retrobike and found out the true worth of my AMPs!!!! Gutted I was so quick to throw them out.

cheers

Back