Pace RC300 Single Speed

Carl

Retro Newbie
Hi,

New here please be gentle :D

I've had a Pace RC300 from new with RC31 forks but stopped riding it a few years ago due to trail centers getting rougher :(

Latest winter project is to turn it into a single speed with some RC35 forks I've just got.

To save me using a chain tensioner does anyone know where I could get some new rear dropouts made so I can tension the chain.

I'll post some pics when done.

Thanks

Carl

Any framebuilder worth their salt ought to be able to put some 'track ends' into a steel frame, but isn't the RC300 aluminium?

Best bet around my way (Sheffield) would be a gentleman named Vernon Barker, working out of M&B cycles in Dronfield. If this is nowhere near you it might just be a matter of ringing around all the framebuilders you can find until somebody admits to being able to weld aluminium.

Then get online and check out their reputation before you let them anywhere near your pride and joy :D

You don't have to run a tensioner if you fond the right gearing... search on here or in the 98➡ forum for "the great big ss thread"...
There are also several ss Pace's in here

G

BSA Dave":3tin8333 said:
Any framebuilder worth their salt ought to be able to put some 'track ends' into a steel frame, but isn't the RC300 aluminium?

Best bet around my way (Sheffield) would be a gentleman named Vernon Barker, working out of M&B cycles in Dronfield. If this is nowhere near you it might just be a matter of ringing around all the framebuilders you can find until somebody admits to being able to weld aluminium.

Then get online and check out their reputation before you let them anywhere near your pride and joy :D

Drop outs on Pace are replacable, no need to weld anything to anywhere.

Drop outs on Pace are replacable, no need to weld anything to anywhere

Exactly, sorry should have explained.

I need new drop outs made to allow horizontal axle fitment. I can draw them up, just need to know if anyone knows a recomended CNC / milling company.

Alternative is ecentric rear hub, but don't really fancy that

SS Pace

Another alternative is to use an Eccentric Bottom bracket. These work really well and allow a degree of chain alignment
A few tips though! Buy SS specific front steel chainrings and rear Cog, (Surley make some of the best) and an SS specific chain. You put a lot more strain on the chain with SS and also the cogs obviously take a huge amount more contact wear.
Normal derailleur chain rings and cogs will wear out in extremely quick time.

I thought you needed an oversized BB to fit an ecentric BB?

I don't really want to modify the frame (hence maybe using an ecentric rear hub)

Back