Reflex ALX99 1988

gnawamurney

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Found one of these on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago advertised as "needs a bit of work." A quick Google came up with an impressive spec list, which would make the 60 odd mile round trip worthwhile if it was still mostly all there.

Attachments

• 1188Reflex5.jpg
    1188Reflex5.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 2,639
Went to go and see it and found it was mostly intact with the exception of the saddle and seatpost binder. The seatpost itself was very obviously stuck and had already resisted some serious attempts to remove it judging by the stilson marks. I reckoned it would be worth buying just for the remainder of the parts even if the seatpost couldn't be removed and the frame had to be binned. The headset and both hubs were loose and rough! and all the controls were hanging off the ugly 2" riser bars with no grips but I bought it anyway.

I've stripped it right down, the seatpost came out with the aid of a bench vice and an extra body.

I really bought it with the intention of stripping it to start a parts collection but I've now decided I quite like the look of it and so I'm going to rebuild it. I've already bought a saddle (Turbo) and a seatpost and am waiting on a periodish flat handlebar (thanks was8v).

Attachments

• reflex alx99 009.jpg
    reflex alx99 009.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2,564
  • reflex alx99 010.jpg
    reflex alx99 010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,561
I rather like that frame, is it Easton Ally main tubes bonded to a cro-mo rear triangle?
I like the cable guides on the downtube too :)

Should be a nice rider with a bit of TLC.

oh, and those rear dropouts look like just the thing for singlespeed ;)

Yes they are, Easton E9, their top spec tube of the day. Reflex was Easton's ski equipment sudsidiary. I think that the initial success of Scott in branching out from ski equipment into bikes influenced the decision to use the Reflex name for Easton's move into the bike market. I believe the plan was to use Reflex's existing distributor and dealer network (ski shops) to sell the bikes in the US. They were made by Raleigh USA and bore more than a passing resemblance to the contemporary Techniums ;) although at the time of launch the Raleighs didn't get the E9 tubes.
The dropouts may be good for singlespeed but my puny old legs aren't so it'll be getting its full complement of 6 cogs refitted!

Spec sheet

Frame: 16.5" Reflex ALX99, anodized Easton E9 main tubes bonded to steel lugs with brazed cromo (Ishiwata EX?) stays

Fork: OE brazed Ishiwata EX chromo tubes with lugs to mach the rear frame. 1" steerer

Headset: Shimano Deore MT60
Stem: Tioga Tbone, 135mm, 10 deg rise, integral cable hanger
Handlebar: tbc
Grips: tbc
Barends: tbc

Brakes: OE Shimano XT M730. BR-M730 front canti, BR-M731 Ubrake rear
Brake Pads: tbc
Brake Cables: tbc
Cantilever cable hangers: OE Shimano XT-M730
Brake Levers: OE Shimano XT, BL-M730 big 4 finger levers.

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: OE Shimano XT, FD-M730 Alpine version
Rear Derailleur: OE Shimano XT, RD-M730-GS long cage version
Derailleur Cables: tbc
Cassette: OE Shimano XT-M730 6 speed Uniglide cassette
Chain: tbc
Cranks: OE Shimano XT, FC-M730 175mm
Crank Bolts: OE Shimano
Chainrings: OE Shimano XT-M730 Aluminium Biopace 46/36/26
Chainring bolts: OE Shimano XT-M730
Bottom Bracket: Kajita sealed bearing
Pedals: OE Shimano XT, PD-M730

Hub Skewers: OE Shimano XT-M730
Rims: OE Araya RM-20 36 hole, bright silver anodised
Hubs: OE Shimano XT, front HB-M730-F, rear FH-M730-QR 130mm axle, freehub body takes either Uniglide or Hyperglide cassettes.
Nipples: no idea
Spokes: OE Ohio Rod
Tyres: Continental Traction 2.1"
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Kalloy- bare Aluminium 26.8mmx320mm stemm length
Seatpost Binder:

Weight: tbc

Several thousand times more interesting than most bikes on here! Eagerly awaiting pics of the rebuilt bike.

The front triangle looks early 90s even if the stays give away its 80s origins :)

Some more interesting facts :roll:
The ALX99 was the middle of 3 bikes , the cheapest was the ALX89, same frame but with a Deore MT60 groupset and the most expensive was the ALX carbon, this was another XT equipped bike but using carbon wrapped Easton E9 tubes.

here's an '88 "factory" race bike using the carbon wrapped frame

Attachments

• Reflex_Rogers_kl.JPG
    Reflex_Rogers_kl.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 2,500
Back