1989 Muddyfox Courier Comp - U Brake Version!

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Built this up a few weeks ago, the frame was a bit of karma from Baz77 as it was me or the skip. So as my Pathfinder has never really been special to me (it was only built for a station bike for a commute I no longer do) and I had a U-brake itch to scratch again I decided to swap the frame for this one. The frame is nowhere near as nice condition as the Pathfinder in the paint dept. as it shows plenty of chips, but it is sound, with no dents or rust and has a slightly more upright riding position I was after. I don't think I'll get the paint scheme re-created for sensible money so it will stay like this.
Trying to keep it a Shimano free zone but I can't ignore the fact that the UN bb's are brilliant (but at least it's hidden), what I will swap eventually is the U Brake for something from Suntour.

Frame: Tange MTB Cro-mo Tubing

Fork: Tange Cro-Mo Uni-Crown

Headset: Tange Muddyfox Branded
Stem: Muddfox matched roller
Handlebar: Muddyfox Steel (will probably be replaced at some point as they are very heavy)
Grips: Foam/Cork mix (will be replaced by Ritchey WCS)
Barends: no name

Brakes: Suntour XC front Cantis, Shimano Exage Mountain U-Brake (will be swapped to Suntour when something suitable comes up)
Brake Pads: Suntour and Shimano XT
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Comp

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Suntour Powerflo
Chain: Suntour
Cranks: Suntour XC Ltd
Bottom Bracket: UN54
Pedals: V8 copies

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Sun Chinook CR16
Hubs: Suntour XC Comp

Tyres: Scwalbe City Jets or Tioga Trail/Wonder Dawg's or Panaracer Mach SS

Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Seatpost: Muddyfox Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Muddyfox Kalloy

Weight: 28lbs ish

IMG_20121212_214834_877.jpg

IMG_20121212_214845_360.jpg

IMG_20121212_214855_936.jpg

IMG_20121212_215001_790.jpg

Will hopefully get it out on the local roads over the festive break if it's not too cold.

Carl.

That's really nice. One of the first wishbones? In fact that's a good rear end all round what with the U brake and everything.

Re: 1989 Muddyfox Courier Comp

Took this out for it's first ride like this today and it looks like it maybe the only ride in this incarnation. The components will most likely be plundered for my new project as that was originally a Suntour bike and I may SS this for road usage as it was pretty good and comfortable on the roads today (much more so than the Pathfinder it replaced).

Short lived but frame will live on in another incarnation.

Carl.

proper nice :)
my mate had the early? u brake sorcerer from 89 same size as that. some tit nicked it.
was looking at the 89 MF catalogue yesterday, the courier comp had a funny mixed groupset.
remember seeing one in a bike shop always liked the regal style saddle with the studs.

SaracenSteve":9l91o964 said:
proper nice :)
my mate had the early? u brake sorcerer from 89 same size as that. some tit nicked it.
was looking at the 89 MF catalogue yesterday, the courier comp had a funny mixed groupset.
remember seeing one in a bike shop always liked the regal style saddle with the studs.

It was part Mountain LX (shifters and rear mech) for the 21 speed, part Exage Country (brakes, chainset and front mech) for the cheapness plus an odd set of hubs with Araya rims.
Mine is getting full Mountain LX with the rarer black ringed biopace HP chainset, the group is in great condition with only minor scratches, the frame is a bit ratty for it really but it was a good price.

Carl.

Cool. :cool: look forward to seeing it with lx.
Spent a lot of time on lx in 89 remember it being tough as nails.

Back