1993 ZipGrip Sea&Sky Attitude

Carsten

Senior Retro Guru
IMG_3220.jpg

Most probably already know it from here and there but i wanted to share some more details. It is one of 2 or 3 prototypes of the back then new MC2 era bikes. The other one i am aware of is the one featured in the 1994 catalog.

The bike has some unique features like the ZipGrip seat post clamp which uses a threaded conical collet to secure the seat post, similar to the MC2 clamp mechanism. This version of the ZipGrip is bare polished aluminum. The later production ZipGrips on the Pulse frames were rubber coated.
IMG_3233.jpg

atti_proto_carsten10.jpg

atti_proto_carsten9.jpg

The MC2 locknut and logo (debossed!) and the collet are different to the later production version (right MC2 is the standard one)
atti_proto_carsten12.jpg

Seems like the collect (right, left is the standard one) did not work as intended thus additional slots were hand cut into it. Learning by doing...
atti_proto_carsten13.jpg

The chain stays are similar to the MC1 era stays, i.e. not as complex in shape as the production ones. But they are already shorter than the MC1 stays (but a tad longer than the production stays) and already have the Micro Dropouts
IMG_3231.jpg

atti_proto_carsten5.jpg

Here in comparison the production MC2 era chain stays
1010S_S_Adroit71.jpg

It also still has the MC1 era anti chain suck device and bottom bracket cable guide
atti_proto_carsten6.jpg

Top and down tube look like those on the 93 MC1 Attitude, i.e. 48mm diameter down tube, simple brake cable exit and welded-on cable entries but they must already be the Gradient tubes because the frame is considerably lighter than the MC1 Attitude frame.
IMG_3235.jpg

They also did not yet use the plastic spacers between MC2 and head tube
IMG_3234.jpg

I didn't get it with an MC2 plug so i made one out of a standard cap
IMG_3227.jpg

I have built it close to the catalog specs, i.e. XTR M900, Flite and Syncros seat post. Rims are Araya RM400. Looks like the bike was never ridden and it might not be heat treated and thus not really meant to be ridden. Condition is pretty much mint except for a few paint chips from poor storage (before i got it).

The story behind it is that a SwissAir pilot bought it in the US in the 90s and took it to Switzerland. A friend years later found it in a sort of thrift store. Another friend spotted on a poor photo that it is not the usual MC2 Attitude and i finally had the honor and pleasure to restore and build it. I got only frame and MC2 but still had the fork which is a very early one (dropout welds are sanded down which they later did not do anymore) and thus it is a pretty good match.

The catalog page
klein_katalog_94_attitude.jpg

Pics of the one in the catalog, taken in a certain someones "warehouse" in Chehalis
zipgrip_attitude.jpg

In front of it that's its big brother, the ZipGrip Adroit featured in the 94 catalog
zipgripbikes.jpg

Here either mine or the other one on a 93 bike show (pic is from a bike magazine)
20070110_magazine_klein_attitude_ss.jpg

And that's how my friend found it - for sure a BOTM winner ;)
10572Bike_Klein_Attitude_Seasky.jpg

Below some more photos.

Enjoy, Carsten

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

hollister":3ou1yttm said:
is there anything you don't know about Kleins? ;)

yes, e.g. where the second ZipGrip Adroit is :(

all of it i could hunt down so far is the MC2 but frame and fork are lost it seems...

staf1.JPG

Carsten

Fork Option

I note from the advertisement that Klein offered a Lawill front fork option - do you have any images of Klein's with this fork affixed?

Mr K

Back