Bontrager Cx

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
In need of some new bartape (and better photos), here's the Bontrager Cx that I've had for a few months (although the pursuit took well over a year - thanks to Mel and Roy for their tenacity!). I had planned to ride it in Septembers 50th Three Peaks but fatal build inertia took over.

I've tried to find out more information about these but with very limited success. I'm guessing that there aren't too many around in this size. From what I can gather this is an 88 although hopefully those more in the know will be able to provide confirmation and/or more accuracy.

The build is at it came bar the replacement chainset (it arrived running a Campag Nuovo Record double with, from memory, 49x44 which would have completely finished off my middle aged knees). I can't say that I care for the Biopace chainring but, in the interests of getting to ride it, will stay for now. The Gripshifts seem to work fairly well in the kitchen, will be interesting in how snappy they are in mud and rain.

PC080060.jpg

PC080061-1.jpg

Damn Ed, that's a big frame :D

One of the early fillet brazed CX frames, so would guess around 88 to 90

Lovely bikes I have a later one with I will take to my grave, certainly see a couple of the fillet brazed frames but always in USA

Don't know where you found it but look after it with your life, it will never let you down

...looking at the photos are the dropouts slotted ?

lovely

Thats a stunner! That has to be one hell of a find!? Look after it mate..dont think you'll find another one of them.

nice bike ed, and that is some headtube .as a moderator perhaps dropping it in the right section might be a good lead :D

gil_m":3iztapln said:
They are road semi horizontal dropouts with adjusters, interestingly with mudguard eyelets when the forks have none (I suspect they were simply dropouts to hand). Front mech routing is interesting to say the least with the cable clamp under the b/b. Running it ss would of course be an option.

suburbanreuben":3iztapln said:
I'll wager that didn't fit in a USPS friendly box?
Nope, was delivered by hand to my back garden. Which isn't a euphemism.

matthew71":3iztapln said:
as a moderator perhaps dropping it in the right section might be a good lead :D
Not sure which section that would be as I was looking for the pre 1990s cross section but couldn't find it. So I posted it in the Readers Road Bikes section. No interest. Posting it here got a response though so, to paraphrase Whitney, it's not right but it's ok.

ededwards":1t1j36bj said:
gil_m":1t1j36bj said:
They are road semi horizontal dropouts with adjusters, interestingly with mudguard eyelets when the forks have none (I suspect they were simply dropouts to hand). Front mech routing is interesting to say the least with the cable clamp under the b/b. Running it ss would of course be an option.

suburbanreuben":1t1j36bj said:
I'll wager that didn't fit in a USPS friendly box?
Nope, was delivered by hand to my back garden. Which isn't a euphemism.

matthew71":1t1j36bj said:
as a moderator perhaps dropping it in the right section might be a good lead :D
Not sure which section that would be as I was looking for the pre 1990s cross section but couldn't find it. So I posted it in the Readers Road Bikes section. No interest. Posting it here got a response though so, to paraphrase Whitney, it's not right but it's ok.

Road rider,s are just to grumpy :LOL:

What do you want to know about it?

That was the most common color scheme for the late fb cx bikes, before the protos that became the production bikes. There's an almost identical one(size, etc) here in town but it has the finger style rear cable hanger and later style cable stops. I borrowed one for about a month(still haven't built my proto up) and loved it, heavy as a tank, but the back end feels great. Yours looks like it has the offset divers helmet stops and campy drops(some were gipiemme)

He used that style fd for years, if you ever need to replace it you can use the barrel adjuster and hardware off an old road caliper. The pinch bolt on the shell strips pretty easy FYI

hollister":1tatls84 said:
That was the most common color scheme for the late fb cx bikes, before the protos that became the production bikes. There's an almost identical one(size, etc) here in town but it has the finger style rear cable hanger and later style cable stops. I borrowed one for about a month(still haven't built my proto up) and loved it, heavy as a tank, but the back end feels great. Yours looks like it has the offset divers helmet stops and campy drops(some were gipiemme)

He used that style fd for years, if you ever need to replace it you can use the barrel adjuster and hardware off an old road caliper. The pinch bolt on the shell strips pretty easy FYI

Thanks, that's really helpful as although I'd done the usual (and not so usual) searches I'd found out precious little.

You're absolutely right about the offset cable guides which are a bit clearer in this still poor quality photo. Interesting to hear that there is another in this size as not that many people want such a tall cyclocross frame.

A couple of queries:

- does 1988 sound about right?
- you mention production bikes so does that mean that this was custom built?
- reassuring about the b/b pinch bolt as mine stripped on Saturday! Any more detail about that road caliper fix (i.e. what parts are needed and where)?

Attachments

• P7282339.JPG
    P7282339.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 755
I vaguely recall the guy I got it from said there were two ...or three. Don't remember exactly 2-3 of 'what'. I will try to get in touch with him if required.

Back