1994 GT Corrado

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My newest acquisition - $150 and the most terrifying winter drive of my life, but worth it I feel, bike is entirely stock, even the tires and grips, if you look closely at the front wheel you will see the little Shimano sticker still on the QR! Needs a good clean and lube and a new saddle ( I have a correct period Vetta SL - the stock is a GT branded Vetta TT). never seen these funky black STX canti's before - an OEM special perhaps? very strange mix of kit ranging from STX to XT via LX - front hub is STX Parrallax, rear is XT Parrallax, guess someone in Santa Ana worked hard to produce this on a budget.

DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

Nice. You don't see thoe that often i like it. Might need some fresh paint or a real good cleaning though.

I had some black STX canti's on a tequesta in the mid 90's. There were two types of STX, STX and STX RC. RC had the funky chrome finish canti's and the standard STX had black ones.

Dhphat":2y95sgqc said:
Nice. You don't see thoe that often i like it. Might need some fresh paint or a real good cleaning though.

most of what looks like paint damage is actually sticker residue, a can of Goof Off and some elbow grease should sort that, previous owner was one of those "if in doubt dump a whole can of 3-in-1 on it" types, so, it's very dirty, but has little or no rust or alloy corrosion.

I've never had any kind of real attraction to GTs in the past (well, I did consider one briefly, once.)

However, I think I'm beginning to be converted :) That has a certain lean, "ready for action" no nonsense look about it that just begs to be taken out for a blast along the nearest track :)

Looking forward to seeing that after you've given it some proper 'lovin'. Look good with some front sus on it, IMO. Quadra's I think.

In last month one dude came off with one of these steeds in the LBS but in all black colorway... As far I can see in that day it's almost original with an all LX gruppo but XT mechs... I believe the tires is the originals too, ritcheys if I remember correctly....

nice! look forward to seeing some pictures once you have cleaned her up. i really like the concept ofthe spec on this bike, yes, GT worked hardto get XT where it matters, and spec functionally fine, but less bling STX and LX elsewhere. it would have been great value in its day. GT often seemed to work this way, Karakorams were specced in a similar manner

Your right about the spec it was spot on for the money and they're not to many around because it was only available two years because aluminum really became the norm in 95. A lot less steel spec'd the 95 model year and after by everyone.

Hey

Thought you might like to see my resto project of a 1994 Corrado. I rescued this from a friend's garage last year and have slowly tried to restore it to it's former glory. From the look of your photos the bike you have aquired is pretty much original - the mixture of STX, LX and XT components seem to be the way these were supplied as far as I can ascertain - even the mismatched hubs that you mention and the MC-30 canti's. Mine has a set of M737 canti's fitted to match the combo levers.

Specs on this little gem as below:
Grips: GT originals
Handlebars: Answer Hyperlite
Handlebar extensions: Answer Hyperends
Head stem: Answer A-tac
Head set: Dia Compe AheadSet
Forks: Rock Shox Judy XC
Front hub: Shimano MC-30 STX
Rear hub: Shimano M737 Deore XT
Rims: Mavic 117 S.U.P. CD Ceramic
Brake/Shift levers: Shimano M737 Deore XT
Cantilever brakes: Shimano M737 Deore XT
Brake cables: Shimano XTR
Pedals: Shimano DX PD-MX30
Crankset: Shimano M563 Deore LX: 22/32/42
Chain: Shimano HG91
Cassette: Shimano M737-8 XT: 11-28T
Front Derailleur: Shimano M563 Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M900 XTR
Derailleur cables : Shimano XTR
Seatpost: GT original
Seatpost clamp: GT original

The old girl gets ridden at least 100km a week, mainly road and light trail work as my back isn't what it was. Love her to death and I'm constantly scouring the net for NOS parts.

Anyone got a mint set of Mavic 117 SUP CD Ceramic rims laying around...... ;)

Attachments

• P1000575A.jpg
    P1000575A.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,861
  • P1000579A.jpg
    P1000579A.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 1,867
Back