Pro-Flex 856 Help Needed!!!

cycle mode

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks. I could do with some help. I have finally after many years of searching for a Pro-Flex 856, got one! It needs some restoring which has already started, however, the frames i have seen countless time all say World Cup Design up near the seat post. Mine however says factory Test. have i stumbled across something special??? http://www.flickr.com/photos/rev2race/8 ... hotostream

dont want to put a damper on your day but mine had the same factory test stickers on it, not sure wot it meant but not very uncommon by the looks of it. im sure though that some proflex guru will be along shortly to advise both of us that there was in fact only 3 factory test bikes ever made and the only other one in existance sold on an ebay auction for £68000 :shock:

cycle mode":2x7m9rwi said:
Hi folks. I could do with some help. I have finally after many years of searching for a Pro-Flex 856, got one! It needs some restoring which has already started, however, the frames i have seen countless time all say World Cup Design up near the seat post. Mine however says factory Test. have i stumbled across something special??? http://www.flickr.com/photos/rev2race/8 ... hotostream

First of all welcome, and what a great bike to restore back to former glory :) I have seen a thread on this somewhere, and not 100% sure if it was something they put on the bikes that were demonstrators for Proflex dealers? I will have a dig around, but then it may be special, sadly i cant view the pics on my PC at the mo, doesnt like your picture hosting for some reason. Anyway here is some inspiration (Piccy of my XP8 which is a work in progress and my 856), drop me a line anytime :)

Jussa :)

Attachments

• img_3303_343.jpg
    img_3303_343.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 623
  • dscf3433_116.jpg
    dscf3433_116.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 623
Really appreciate your help guys! Its a bike i have wanted since i saw the 1996 brochure. They always say never meet your heros, but who cares!! Thanks for the ace pictures Jussa!!

IIRC these were demo bikes marked up by the distributor for demo days and send round big shops to loan out. Don't think they attract a premium!

was8v":ff626zmo said:
IIRC these were demo bikes marked up by the distributor for demo days and send round big shops to loan out. Don't think they attract a premium!
Oh this won't be sold! Lol. This is a keeper!!!!

great project for you. i have a soft spot for pro~flex too.

keep us updated on things. plenty of bargains to be had on here for your build.

the factory thing...

i know nothing of it's intended meaning but, taken with a pinch of salt, really.

in fact, i've known folk do cart-wheels over such a revelation but, for me, a factory test bike(not in your bikes' case) is(theoretically) not the final product and could very well be too dangerous for general release. you would be surprised how little people don't see it that way and believe they have a mortgage settling asset in the garage. indeed a true 'test bike' pulled from a skip could be only partially welded up, threads not fully chased etc...
from a manufacturing point of view-just to see how the forks sit in the frame etc....
all the above is just my point of view though! :)

cheers, enjoy the 'flex.

thanks Marc. Im just glad that ive got one. The build is progressing nicely. Had the Swingarm and Fork legs Glass bead blasted to a raw aluminium finish. The frame has gone to be acid dipped and then will be re-painted to its original colour with some fresh decals all lacquered over. Cant Wait!!!!

hope all works out!..some advise based on all my restos..

-you will have to get some correct bolts for the swingarm..those aren't correct. I hope the threads were not drilled.
-While all is apart you should get the swingarm and legs clear anodized so they wont oxidize.
-The original proflex paint job MUSThave a white base, with several layers of translucent red overlay...if you just paint it red it WONT look correct!

good luck!

I have a "factory test" 656 and 856 frames in the loft
Just dealers demo bikes , the bandit down the road from me had
656 & 865 factory test demos BITD ,their spec differed fron the ones on sale
With up-specced mechs and ODS dampers fitted

I need to dig them out and maybe start building again
Mike

Back